What's Catching You Fish?

Zak

Legend
Look up Lee Spencer :)
Thanks, cool story!

“You cannot make a machine from living parts. Life is too dynamic, too uncertain. To an industrialized mind, uncertainty is identified as a problem. An attempt will be made to regulate it. The problem is not the uncertainty inherent in life. The problem is the machine template and the industrialized consciousness. By domesticating natural systems, instability increases and with it the assurance of ultimate, catastrophic failure. What we view as the uncertainty of nature is actually the most stable balancing act possible.”

It reminds me of Thoreau's "In wildness is the preservation of the world."

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks, cool story!

“You cannot make a machine from living parts. Life is too dynamic, too uncertain. To an industrialized mind, uncertainty is identified as a problem. An attempt will be made to regulate it. The problem is not the uncertainty inherent in life. The problem is the machine template and the industrialized consciousness. By domesticating natural systems, instability increases and with it the assurance of ultimate, catastrophic failure. What we view as the uncertainty of nature is actually the most stable balancing act possible.”

It reminds me of Thoreau's "In wildness is the preservation of the world."
You like to read? Send me you’re address and I’ll send you his book.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Huh. I spent a huge chunk of my professional life essentially making machines from living organisms. Genetically manipulating cells to manufacture therapeutic proteins, and engineering the process of growing them and coaxing them to produce as much as possible, as consistantly as possible. (And trying to explain to chemists why a bioreactor full of living cells won't behave as predictably as a chemical reaction!)

I feel like this quote should be posted on the wall of every bioprocess engineering lab in the world!

I had to go read the article to find out what HE was talking about 😆

Anyway...despite having perfectly pointy hooks, no fly caught me anything today!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
This was the best fly today. Caught trout, stripping and trolling, and a couple fat, big boy bluegill.
It's size 8 hook, midnight sparkle chenille, short brown hackle and black marabou tail. Been using crazy eyes instead of a bead which gives it a little dragon fly nymph attitude. Fished deep of a type 5 line, strip and pause action...

20230731_153128.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
@Zak , you were correct, the snowshoe sub on the black stimulator floats well enough to hold up the knuckle dragging stone. This has payete paste but I'll get some frogs fanny when I order next.
20230803_flies.jpg
The fish dug that stimulator. This guy missed the first take, so I dried it while the fish settled back in, represented, and he came completely out of the water in a huge rainbow arc, crashing down mouth first on the fly in a huge splash. Got another eat like that but I eventually lost it.
20230803_jumpstimieat.jpg
The knuckle dragging stone is turning out to be a good little anchor fly.
20230803_stone.jpg

Zak

Legend
@Zak , you were correct, the snowshoe sub on the black stimulator floats well enough to hold up the knuckle dragging stone. This has payete paste but I'll get some frogs fanny when I order next.
View attachment 75844
The fish dug that stimulator. This guy missed the first take, so I dried it while the fish settled back in, represented, and he came completely out of the water in a huge rainbow arc, crashing down mouth first on the fly in a huge splash. Got another eat like that but I eventually lost it.
View attachment 75845
The knuckle dragging stone is turning out to be a good little anchor fly.
View attachment 75846
They grow them big in the rivers you fish! When you use a heavy anchor like that, do you "dap" the stimluator on the surface while tightlining to the anchor?

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
They grow them big in the rivers you fish! When you use a heavy anchor like that, do you "dap" the stimluator on the surface while tightlining to the anchor?
It will hold it up well enough for an up and across for dead drift, and if it sinks it just might get ate, but I can still see it for subtle takes on the nymph. Todays water was more suited to cast and drift than tightline. I have it set so the separation is about 1' greater than the depth. If presented down stream the dry can be danced on top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
It will hold it up well enough for an up and across for dead drift, and if it sinks it just might get ate, but I can still see it for subtle takes on the nymph. Todays water was more suited to cast and drift than tightline. I have it set so the separation is about 1' greater than the depth. If presented down stream the dry can be danced on top.
Out of curiosity, what percentage of takes were on the nymph vs the stimulator?

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Out of curiosity, what percentage of takes were on the nymph vs the stimulator?
probably 2-3 on the nymph to 1 on the stimulator

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
I took the day off and went fishing. I picked up my friend Todd at the Mukilteo ferry, I'm teaching him to fly fish. Tons of small rainbows along the Mountain Loop Highway. A Vermont Caddis was working best until it got shredded, then an Ausable Bomber worked fine. I put a small muddler/Letort hopper on Todd's line, because when he let it drag it fished like a wet fly.

Yours truly:
IMG_20230804_221708.jpg
Todd:
PXL_20230804_225004403.jpg

Love this jumbled structure, there were trout in tiny but deep pockets:
PXL_20230804_231933554.jpg

Last edited:

kmudgn

Steelhead
I took the day off and went fishing. I picked up my friend Todd at the Mukilteo ferry, I'm teaching him to fly fish. Tons of small rainbows along the Mountain Loop Highway. A Vermont Caddis was working best until it got shredded, then an Ausable Bomber worked fine. I put a small muddler/Letort hopper on Todd's line, because when he let it drag it fished like a wet fly.

Yours truly:
View attachment 76060
Todd:
View attachment 76061

Love this jumbled structure, there were trout in tiny but deep pockets:
View attachment 76064
VT Caddis ! A fly I have not tied in over 25 years and forgot about until today. I will tie some and see if the fish still like old school ties

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
No hoppers out with the clouds, but a diving caddis was good.
20230805_divingcaddis.jpg
This deer watched me catch a fish, change a fly, and catch another. Then it left and I got no more hits there.
20230805_deer.jpg
most of the fish hit the caddis on point 2' behind my dropper tool flies.
20230805_dcfish.jpg