What's in your vise?

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
it's not the length, it's how sparse it is and how much water it holds (dependent more on materials plus how sparse it is).....but that on the water test is really where it's at.
I'm worried my dull brown one is going to be heavy. It's fairly dense. The other two longer ones might be fine. I'll ease into it and see.

I'm going to bring a normal rod with me this weekend also. Figure if I get to wary of the heavy ones, I might be able to throw em with a less spendy pole. No actual idea if I actually can, but worth a try.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Are you doing a dubbing loop on the very front of the head?
no. I use Titan dubbing from Nightmare Musky flies. pretty long fibers and I reverse tie them in then brush them out. takes a little practice to get the proportions just right along with the use of the hair clips, but it's waaaay quicker than a dubbing loop.

Reactions: Zak

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm worried my dull brown one is going to be heavy. It's fairly dense. The other two longer ones might be fine. I'll ease into it and see.

I'm going to bring a normal rod with me this weekend also. Figure if I get to wary of the heavy ones, I might be able to throw em with a less spendy pole. No actual idea if I actually can, but worth a try.
eh, I'm sure you'll be fine...only way to truly find out what to do differently is to actually cast everything you've tied up and swim it and go from there. I'd take some smaller 6-7" stuff though too just in case.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Green-Reynard-1080.jpg

Green Reynard

Atlantic Salmon

Keith Fulsher of Eastchester, New York, originated this pattern in 1982

Hook - Single Salmon
Thread - Black
Tip - Lower half, oval gold tinsel; the upper half, fluorescent green floss
Tail - Guinea fowl barbs
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Flat gold tinsel
Wing - Fox squirrel tail tied low over the body
Hackle - Bright green tied on as a collar and tied back

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Still working out the best way to use nayat with squid patterns. Liking this version using a white bucktail core, layered with white nayat, FTD Crystal Hair, and Congo Hair (both FTD color Polar Bear). Used pink, orange, and purple markers on the eye tabs and top fibers.

20230721_102210.jpg

Scottp

Legend
Bloody Muddler (variation)

53061345832_03a1a3b4bd_c.jpg

53062121084_2d25e04e69_c.jpg

53061345822_0c2133e9b4_c.jpg

Even though runoff is over, there’s still a good bit of water in the local streams and the oversized head will help keep it up on top.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
tail - yarn flame
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub Harder’s Bloody Black
hackle - ginger
shoulder - golden pheasant body feather red
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
The-Magic-1080.jpg

The Magic

Atlantic Salmon

Christian Milliard

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tip - Flat silver tinsel
Tail - Golden pheasant crest
Butt - Black ostrich herl
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Flat silver tinsel
Wing - Deer hair
Hackle - Orange

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
E96FB7FA-31A9-444E-A3A5-838DE76D985B.jpeg

For the Sound.
Tied on old mustad 9674s with a Gamakatsu Octopus trailer. Do you figure I should just cut the front hook off? Or leave it? That long shank is a lot of potential leverage for a rolling coho to use to shake the hook. But it could also be the hook that sticks. What say you, Coho casters?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
View attachment 74003

For the Sound.
Tied on old mustad 9674s with a Gamakatsu Octopus trailer. Do you figure I should just cut the front hook off? Or leave it? That long shank is a lot of potential leverage for a rolling coho to use to shake the hook. But it could also be the hook that sticks. What say you, Coho casters?

Cut the front hook off. Two hooks are a pain in the ass on flies in my opinion for the sound, especially if you need to release unclipped fish or shakers.
SF

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I love the second one! Nice sparse ties. What size hook are those?
Thank you sir, I believe it’s an Alec Jackson #5. I’m not entirely sure because I repurposed an old fly.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thank you sir, I believe it’s an Alec Jackson #5. I’m not entirely sure because I repurposed an old fly.
That looks about right. A size 7 (or less) fly on a size 5 hook. The Alec Jackson size 5 hook is one of my favorites! I need to follow your lead and tie more undersize flies on larger hooks. Probably can repurpose some of mine as well. When I have time, I will go through the boxes and pull out the ones that need to be redone.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
That looks about right. A size 7 (or less) fly on a size 5 hook. The Alec Jackson size 5 hook is one of my favorites! I need to follow your lead and tie more undersize flies on larger hooks. Probably can repurpose some of mine as well. When I have time, I will go through the boxes and pull out the ones that need to be redone.

It’s a lot of fun to do! I think they look pretty cool also. Hope to get a chance to swing these.