What's in your vise?

Scottp

Legend
Brown Muddler (variation)

53052092276_f7867e1bef_c.jpg

53052092266_d15f302894_c.jpg

53052475700_b01b1a7bdb_c.jpg

Mottled hen might have been a better choice for shoulder, although fish probably won’t care.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tail - golden pheasant tippet/yarn flame
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear brown
hackle - brown
shoulder - pheasant body dyed brown
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Life-on-Mars-1080.jpg

Life on Mars

Hook- Size 8 double salmon
Thread- Fire orange
Tag and Rib- Silver wire or oval tinsel
Rear body- Silver holographic tinsel
Mid hackle - Orange hen
Wing at mid-point- Orange bucktail & silver/pearl krystal flash
Front body- Claret dubbing, wool or floss
Front hackle- Claret hen
Finish with Jungle Cock (always optional)

Tying & Fishing Bucktails & Other Hair Wings - Mike Valla

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My guide says 11” articulated white flies are killing right now. I am still only at 9”
View attachment 73368

View attachment 73369

35 mm shank in front of an Ahrex SA210 size 2/0. Lake trout are mainly feeding on ciscoes, adults are 10-12”. Most of my box is in the 6-8” range. Will tie up some more 9-10”…

Nice. I bought lots of white from my dealer this week.
To be clear- White bucktail, white craft fur, ect. dealer is the fly shop.

Hoping to find time to stop at a store this week to get proper leaders and such. Heard news today my wife is heading out of town for the weekend, so ill get at least one full day of musky hunting.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
My guide says 11” articulated white flies are killing right now. I am still only at 9”
View attachment 73368

View attachment 73369

35 mm shank in front of an Ahrex SA210 size 2/0. Lake trout are mainly feeding on ciscoes, adults are 10-12”. Most of my box is in the 6-8” range. Will tie up some more 9-10”…
time to invest in some really long saddles....lol. I'm assuming those larger lakers are head hunters? With tigers (which are--although they inhale the entire damn thing), I don't worry about hook placement to the middle. I'll run a couple of 35mm light wire shanks off the back to help keep weight down but can still get the bulk and length. I also get better movement with that placement vs hook in the middle or back end....then again, sometimes it doesn't matter anyway...lol

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
more shit I don't need...craft fur back end rather than bucktail with reverse nayat up front.
View attachment 73376
View attachment 73377

You've mentioned primo bucktail on a few recent posts. If it's not in short supply, you mind sharing your vendor? Assuming it's available online...
If not, no worries.

Lol, that was the next color combo I was going to tie tomorrow. A teal and white, and a teal and black with a little pink under.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
You've mentioned primo bucktail on a few recent posts. If it's not in short supply, you mind sharing your vendor? Assuming it's available online...
If not, no worries.

Lol, that was the next color combo I was going to tie tomorrow. A teal and white, and a teal and black with a little pink under.

I’ll let @clarkman decide if he wants to divulge his source ;). But one thing you can invest in that will save you money (depends on your material) is a decent set of markers. You can go the expensive route of copic, or the Amazon knockoff such as caliart (my choice) and you can color up your flies with pens rather than getting every color of dubbing and craft fur there is.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
time to invest in some really long saddles....lol. I'm assuming those larger lakers are head hunters? With tigers (which are--although they inhale the entire damn thing), I don't worry about hook placement to the middle. I'll run a couple of 35mm light wire shanks off the back to help keep weight down but can still get the bulk and length. I also get better movement with that placement vs hook in the middle or back end....then again, sometimes it doesn't matter anyway...lol
I know you spend more time swimming these than I, so I appreciate the thoughts.
I anticipate that a heavy hook behind a light shank will turn on the pause, but if it is being trolled I just want it to boogie and swim.
The guide said the flies were tied with 2 hooks ($300 for 4!) I am not a big fan of trailers…
Do you wire/heavy mono the shank to rear of the hook of hook? Beads?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
But one thing you can invest in that will save you money (depends on your material) is a decent set of markers. You can go the expensive route of copic, or the Amazon knockoff such as caliart (my choice) and you can color up your flies with pens rather than getting every color of dubbing and craft fur there is.
agreed. I have Copics for a handful of base colors (they really are better), but then a large set of Caliart, which still hold their color better than any Sharpie you can find.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I know you spend more time swimming these than I, so I appreciate the thoughts.
I anticipate that a heavy hook behind a light shank will turn on the pause, but if it is being trolled I just want it to boogie and swim.
The guide said the flies were tied with 2 hooks ($300 for 4!) I am not a big fan of trailers…
Do you wire/heavy mono the shank to rear of the hook of hook? Beads?
I can't really speak to laker fishing as I have never done it, but if you want a fly to really dance on a consistent pull, tie on a game changer. Nothing moves like them. I know Blaine was working on a jerk changer (same game changer action but also walks the dog on more of a strip/pause stripping action). I'm assuming he's finished and marketed the shit out of it by now. Since we're talking about action, if you're after than more jerkbait style action, you've gotta do something near the rear end to create instability (I happen to throw some foam right off the top at the hook bed that works beautifully for this) but you also want it to return to it's natural upright position. Look up the Yard Sale fly by Matt Grajewski. it's a double where the stiffness of the saddles on the rear hook help create that instability and assists in the back hook slamming into the front creating the jack-knife (lots of ways to skin that cat) ....big fly action could be an entire thread in and of itself. I too, can't stand multiple hooks, especially when I don't feel it's necessary, not to mention the fact that I really don't want to deal with a second hook while digging around in a toothy mouth.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ll let @clarkman decide if he wants to divulge his source ;). But one thing you can invest in that will save you money (depends on your material) is a decent set of markers. You can go the expensive route of copic, or the Amazon knockoff such as caliart (my choice) and you can color up your flies with pens rather than getting every color of dubbing and craft fur there is.
Thank you. I've been eyeing Copic markers, but pricey. I'll look into these caliart markers.

Was researching dying feathers and such last night, not sure it applies to bucktail or not though. That's on my to do list to look into. Just dye small batches of tail amd feathers.

I've decided fly tying addiction is worse than standard drug addiction. At least you get a fix, your good for a few hours to a day. I'm leaving the fly shop instantly thinking I don't have shit for colors and variation lol. Woe is me lol.