Recent content by Slimy Deck

1. Slimy Deck

Great Slave Lake Northwest Territory

Wow, what a great trip! Thanks for sharing the report. I recall pics of giant lake trout from Great Slave Lake in the outdoor mags I read as a child and thinking....."some day". Grayling are beautiful fish.
  2. Slimy Deck

Frog Survey

The State of Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife sent a letter to a home/landowner asking for permission to access a creek on his property to document the decline in a certain species of unheard of frogs. The property owners' response follows. Letter from Washington Dept. Of Fish &...
  3. Slimy Deck

Anyone use a Palomar knot for bigger flies (or gear lures)?

I use the Palomar knot a lot, generally for heavier fly tackle, mono or fluoro, where I want the fly in direct line with my rod/line/leader. For example, crease flies perform better, for me, when they aren't swiveling at rest. And, like Mems mentions, the knot has two wraps around the eye...
  4. Slimy Deck

1000+ deep

Yes, thanks from afar (NC), where I'm able to keep tabs in anticipation of the 2 or 3 trips I get to the PNW each year with tubes, reels, and fresh ties in my pack. (y)(y)
  5. Slimy Deck

Checking in ...

Welcome to NC! I fish year-around here. My favorite is chasing false albacore and other finned critters on fly off of the southern OBX out of Beaufort or Bardens inlets mid Sept - mid Dec, and you'll be in awe of the beauty and multitude of life within 3 miles of the beach in the fall. And...
  6. Slimy Deck

Does Maxima (mono line) go bad sitting in a drawer?

This one is in my wheelhouse....... The answer is no, nylon mono will not degrade just sitting in a dark drawer. Nylon (polyamide) is one of the most inert polymers and very chemical and hydrolysis resistant. Nylon mono is generally a blend of types of nylon, usually nylon 6 and 6,6; and...
  7. Slimy Deck

Not one.....not two....not three.....

Bad ass! I'd be worried that I'd stroked out if my hands weren't shaking after that! Cool eats? Congrats! Slimy
  8. Slimy Deck

A report from the bass pond

Nice! Love it! Recent smallmouth trip water temp was 54'ish also. Over 5 1/2 days the smallies only moved up for 2 brief hour long periods and would take a wiggle minnow. Otherwise it was Clousers and Deceivers on full sink lines 20-35 ft where they were happy to play. Way to get after 'em...
  9. Slimy Deck

My Mecca

👍🏻👍🏻 Old as Gary and I are getting to be, glad we can show up for them!
  10. Slimy Deck

My Mecca

The fishes....... Looking forward to the next 36 yrs. Slimy
  11. Slimy Deck

My Mecca

Each year for the last 36 years in late March, early April when the redbuds and dogwoods bloom I head to my holy place, an Army Corp reservoir that straddles the TN/KY border where smallmouths grow very big, in fact the world record came from this lake, Dale Hollow. Buddy Gary, 81 years young...
  12. Slimy Deck

Muskie Monday?

Jumping in, not as a musky afficienado (boated 3 on fly but don't live where they do), but one who chases toothy critters periodically. Several years ago I wanted to play with some big cudas on the fly that were visible in an area where tarpon would come through. They can get really wary if...
  13. Slimy Deck

How about some bass by-catch...

So, what happened? I lost a favorite fly. There was no way I was lipping that thing to get it back......... When he ate, I thought it was the mother of all Florida bass and strip struck hard. His tail came out and slapped the water and I knew right away what it was and thought "oh, this will...
  14. Slimy Deck

How about some bass by-catch...

Big swirl, 75' at the edge of a stand of cattails and among some lilly pads. One double haul on the 8wt and shoot. The water erupts where the black hair frog plops. Game on.
  15. Slimy Deck

Puget Sound Indicator Fishing for Sea Run Cutthroat is HEATING up

I fly fish for smallmouths with a buddy on a TN river in his jet boat rigged with both troller that spot locks and power poles. He’s adept at using both in combination depending upon situation. Downsides to the power poles include their height well above the motor cowling in stowed position...