SFR Turning up the heat

Sorta fishing-related

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Votes are the power. Not fear. We know a dude like Culp would be "culpable" to whoever bought him a beer, so anyone who thinks he was the answer is high. He had zero chance to appeal to the west side voters. Going to need better candidates across the board if people want changes and better representation.

Look how this country handled the Supreme Court appointees. Not special interest there? A mess.
Better candidates
You are spot on
Couple of things though are 1. Running costs a ton of money
2. Who wants their entire life history thrown out there so others can judge every decision they have ever made - including when the were young and dumb?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Congress shall make no law concerning an establishment of religion. PETA and the Humane society as it relates to hunting and fishing are pushing religious views.

You forgot the rest "...or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Not sure if they are using religious views, that might be a stretch, but even if they are, they are allowed. Oh, and have you heard of the "moral Majority" and more recently the so-called "Christian" right - they seem to hold some sway

Now, all the usual suspects seem to have chimed in.

cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
That's right it's unconstitutional for them to create their religion into law.

They haven't created anything into law. Legislatures pass the laws. Rob please get things straight, at best the groups you cite are lobbying groups, which is legal.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Can we please not make this thread about the constitution and the founding fathers? @Rob Allen looking in your direction bud🍻

I think there is legitimate issues to be voiced about the direction of the commission and the appointment process. I think this is a very important issue.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Can we please not make this thread about the constitution and the founding fathers? @Rob Allen looking in your direction bud🍻

I think there is legitimate issues to be voiced about the direction of the commission and the appointment process. I think this is a very important issue.
Whoops, sorry. I made my last post before seeing this. I’ll stop.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Looks like Governor Inslee is getting sued over his recent commission appointees...
It might be pretty interesting digging into the background of the hiring process.

Personally I would think they have a pretty good case🤔
If we want to continue fishing and hunting in Washington well into the 21st century we need to lobby in Olympia. It will be tougher with each year, especially since the younger demographic largely dislikes the idea of hunting. What sport fishing and hunting groups are doing the best job at representing us in Olympia?

By the way, I cringe to see how fractured sport anglers are to a topic the should bring 100% consensus. No wonder Inslee, et al feel they can re-engineer the commission. Who will oppose it as we lamely fight amongst ourselves?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You forgot the rest "...or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Not sure if they are using religious views, that might be a stretch, but even if they are, they are allowed. Oh, and have you heard of the "moral Majority" and more recently the so-called "Christian" right - they seem to hold some sway

Now, all the usual suspects seem to have chimed in.

cheers

7070620_0.jpg

I just don't wanna be left out.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Anybody who want's action on whether this lawsuit will fly or die, please let me know. ;) Doesn't matter if it's fair/right/ethical, unless it's outright illegal nothing will happen. As has already been pointed out, Inslee has the legal right to appoint commissioners. He could appoint the Devil himself and there would be no legal recourse.

Billy, succeeding in the advocacy you mentioned has nothing to do with fair/right/ethical. What I learned from work with fishing advocacy groups is that (1) you have to align your causes in a way that will not alienate the people you need to have supporting you (2) sustainable success is all about political leverage. The funny thing is that it has nothing to do with Dems or Repubs - they all respond to political leverage the same.

The sportfishing community is fragmented enough - Salmon/Steelhead anglers fighting over issues like bait/no bait, hatchery vs wild etc is a loser because you've essentially halved the angling community you need to fully support your initiatives.

Arguing for protecting habitat, or removing gill nets, in contrast is something all steelhead or salmon anglers can get behind. Identify what is achievable - it may not be everything you want but progress toward your goal is better than trying for perfection and failing.

IMO the best example of an effective fishery advocacy org is CCA - I don't agree with everything they do but it is grassroots and they've identified strategies for how to be successful within our political system.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Wholeheartedly agree
As far as lobbying I don’t know how that works exactly. How do we establish our voice?
Well full time lobbyists cost money, and usually are paid pretty well.
Write your legislator and express you views without being an ahole, and use spell check too, they get enough misspelled, poorly written screeds from the electorate.

;)
Legislators respond to large numbers, really large numbers, whether those numbers are dollars or votes...I'd guess somewhere in the range of 200k to 300k calls, letters and e-mails to all of the various legislators would bump the issue up a bit, but frankly it is a tough lift, given the more pressing issues these days. 500k would certainly grab some attention, and maybe even get some media attention, which of course is always a double edged sword.
Face it, the average citizen/voter has exactly zero idea wha the Commission does, and is not going to sit down and review the members and their backgrounds to determine their fitness to serve.
We are a small group, notoriously unorganized, lacking funding, and in the grand scheme of things well off the radar for the vast majority.

Just the way it is...

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Politics or being political in the unsoiled dictionary sense is a positive thing. It is necessary to organize a group effort for achieving a common goal. If we want to keep hunting and fishing for decades to come we need to organize a much more effective political presence in Olympia. PNW Fly Fishing has over a thousand members, that is a decent start.

Flymph

Steelhead
Did any of these appointees threaten the lives of others, attend Nazi banquets, or delve deep into sexual or racial misconduct? If not, I will continue to focus on the national level.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
House Agriculture & Natural Resources Committee

Senate Agriculture, Water, Natural Resources & Parks Committee

Here are the members or the relevant House and Senate committees with jurisdiction over fish and wildlife issues. Writing all of the members on both committees, as well as your own legislators is a place anyone can start.
Use your own words, express your own concerns, and communicate respectfully and clearly why this is of importance to you.
Follow up, and request that your legislator tell you where he stands on the issue.
The links will allow you to simply click on a committee members name, and then his email is in the listing for each legislator.