Scotty R-5 Rod Holder will NOT Securely Hold Flyrods as Depicted on Packaging

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The Scotty R-5 universal rod holder will NOT securely hold single hand flyrods as depicted on the packaging and some of their on-line promotional material (though their more lengthy youtube videos do indeed demonstrate its proper use with a flyrod).

I've long used Scotty rod holders for my three rods carried on my kayak...the non-fished ones in the rear also secured with the strap. Wanted a bit faster release holder for the front rod in active use. Tried the Berkeley, but it's flimsy and does not have adjustable tension. Now trying the much more robust Scotty R-5 with adjustable tension, and it's readily apparent that it's use as depicted on packaging would very easily result in a loss of the flyrod. The flyrod grip must be placed in the holder with the reel below the holder unit to be secure...NOT the reel butt section as shown on packaging. Might work OK with a big fighting butt, but I still wouln't trust it..

20230113_114252.jpg

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
I was just looking at this rod holder before I saw your post. I too am worried about losing a rod.

Here is a youtube video and shows how to put a flyrod in it and how 'stable' it is (start at 5 minute mark):

Would still like to hear what others say from their experiences...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The Scotty R-5 universal rod holder will NOT securely hold single hand flyrods as depicted on the packaging and some of their on-line promotional material (though their more lengthy youtube videos do indeed demonstrate its proper use with a flyrod).

I've long used Scotty rod holders for my three rods carried on my kayak...the non-fished ones in the rear also secured with the strap. Wanted a bit faster release holder for the front rod in active use. Tried the Berkeley, but it's flimsy and does not have adjustable tension. Now trying the much more robust Scotty R-5 with adjustable tension, and it's readily apparent that it's use as depicted on packaging would very easily result in a loss of the flyrod. The flyrod grip must be placed in the holder with the reel below the holder unit to be secure...NOT the reel butt section as shown on packaging. Might work OK with a big fighting butt, but I still wouln't trust it..View attachment 49932
Yeah, that photo isn't showing how most modern fly rods work - just about any modern single-hand fly rod, there won't be 2-3" of butt to stick in to a holder - the reel usually sits flush with the butt of the rod, leaving nothing to sit in that slot.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I haven’t lost a rod in the Scotty fly rod holders but lost one expensive rod prior to that. Found out about these cheap foam rod floats on the old website from a guy named Sidg. Available for $5.25 at Walmart or online for twice as much. The foam will float a rod and a heavy reel like an Abel horizontally.

D55DE05F-A641-473C-991C-8033540C6706.jpeg

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I haven’t lost a rod in the Scotty fly rod holders but lost one expensive rod prior to that. Found out about these cheap foam rod floats on the old website from a guy named Sidg. Available for $5.25 at Walmart or online for twice as much. The foam will float a rod and a heavy reel like an Abel horizontally.

View attachment 49945
I have the same ones for the rod I'm not using in a float tube or pontoon. They are cheap insurance.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Do you put the line through the holder next to the handle ou outside the holder?

Hope this makes sense...
I do it both ways. Inside the handle it might set the hook as there is more resistance. If you want them to take and turn away go outside. But my favorite way is to run the line from the reel through my fingers so I can feel what's happening.

Reactions: RCF

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Do you put the line through the holder next to the handle ou outside the holder?

Hope this makes sense...
Just like you see it. When a fish grabs the fly i just reach over and grab the cork handle and lift straight up.... Ive had a few fish absolutely slam the fly with the rod tip going down into the water and it stayed perfectly secured....

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Cowlitz Bottomfeeder,

Morning. What are those rod floats called? You mentioned you can get them at Walmart is that correct? How do they attach to the rod? Do they affect casting at all? Are they mostly for trolling and/or being on an unused rod to avoid it falling overboard and sinking?

Thank you for the help.

Bob

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
@Cowlitz Bottomfeeder,

Morning. What are those rod floats called? You mentioned you can get them at Walmart is that correct? How do they attach to the rod? Do they affect casting at all? Are they mostly for trolling and/or being on an unused rod to avoid it falling overboard and sinking?

Thank you for the help.

Bob
I take them off when I use the rod. They are basically pipe insulation with a velcro strap. I remember getting a three pack at bass pro. I don't recall the brand.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
@Cowlitz Bottomfeeder,

Thank you for the help.

Bob
Bob
Just google “rod floats” on Amazon or look for a package of 3 where the boating supplies are at Walmart. I found these hanging on the wall in the Tumwater WA store. They come with 3 Velcro straps and the foam is slit lengthwise. If you have an old two piece rod you’ll need to spread that apart for a moment to get it on the rod because of the first guide. If you’re using a four piece rod just slide it down the shaft of the bottom section. I use electrical tape to secure the foam because I don’t like Velcro. How well it fits depends on the diameter of the bottom section. Either way, the float doesn’t interfere with casting or fishing. It’s unsightly, but I’ll tolerate unsightly to prevent the loss of a $1k setup. If you fish shallow lakes with floating lines you can probably do without this. If you’re fishing deep lakes with sinking lines it’s good insurance. Don’t ask me how I know.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Just like you see it. When a fish grabs the fly i just reach over and grab the cork handle and lift straight up.... Ive had a few fish absolutely slam the fly with the rod tip going down into the water and it stayed perfectly secured....
I wondered about added resistance depending on where you routed the line - I guess added “drag” is what I am wondering about and increased likelihood of a broken tippet.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Cowlitz Bottomfeeder ,

Thank you for the help and insight.

Like Buzzy, I was concerned about how the float may cause the flyline to rub, whilst reeling in or stripping line off the reel. I was also wondering if the float affected the rod action and/or the cast at all. Youve covered those bases and I appreciate that.

I ran to our Walmart and got a set of three rod floats for $5.20. I also picked up some Velcro " One Wrap Thin Ties", in case I loose the velcro wraps that come with the floats.

The rod floats are "Propel Paddle Gear" Fishing Rod Floats. The Velcro " One Wrap Thin Ties" were about $ 5.00 for a package of 50. Each tie is 8 inches long by 1/2 wide and they are basically a reuseable zip tie. Looks to be a plethora of uses for them at the home, shop or camp. Basically, one end of the tie slips though a slit in the other end and then back on itself.

Electrical Tape and Duct Tape, are staples in my life. I always have them around. Thanks Cowlitz for that idea also.

Now.....regarding 2 piece rods. I sure lament the fact that hardly anyone makes them anymore. Whole different feel in the cast. I treasure all my old 2 piece rods.

Happy Weekend all.

Bob

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I used the R5 for a while and found one problem. Unless you have a fighting butt on your rod that is thin enough, the rod is only fine if you’re using it like in the video and only if the holder is horizontal. Tip the holder up so the rod tip is up, though, and the rod slips out and sits in the boat with you, likely to break. Still held, but shitty.

I used the other Scotty holders and on some of my rods (Scott rods, especially) the cork rubs a lot on the holder. The holder is not radiused enough for thicker handles.

So, I went with R5s horizontal. For securing my rods so my then 3yo didn’t toss his overboard, an extra net leash works great if clipped to a ported part of the reel on the non-spool side.

Edit: Radiused not radiuses. Stupid autocowreck.

Last edited:

ABITNF

Steelhead
The way the video describes securing the rod in the R-5 obviously isn't what's recommended and as Jake says that's OK when horizontal. I've tried both the Berkley and the R-5 and like the first generation Scotty 260 the most. Sure they aren't perfect but I found they're better than the other two. I do not use the rubber straps as they aren't necessary unless I'm in my inflatable and moving somewhere.

My best rod holders for me kick trolling in my pontoon are my hands. If I'm anchored fishing indies I'm holding my rod.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
The way the video describes securing the rod in the R-5 obviously isn't what's recommended and as Jake says that's OK when horizontal. I've tried both the Berkley and the R-5 and like the first generation Scotty 260 the most. Sure they aren't perfect but I found they're better than the other two. I do not use the rubber straps as they aren't necessary unless I'm in my inflatable and moving somewhere.

My best rod holders for me kick trolling in my pontoon are my hands. If I'm anchored fishing indies I'm holding my rod.
You’re right, your hands are the best rod holder and you’ll have a high bite to hookup ratio. But when the wind is blowing hard or you want to try to trigger a reaction strike with a fast moving fly you’ll need the rod holder.