What fishing are you dreaming of right now?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
In the what I look forward to theme, is doing all this with my friends. The campfires along the D, meeting at dawn to shuttle rigs, shooting the breeze on the way to wherever we're fishing - that's what I really look forward to.
When you get back in March! And Randy to!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Trips are well worth doing, especially when you are young enough to really get after it There are a few places I won't get back to, and I'm not all that old, but am pretty beat up.
FWIW, my advice is go... go when you are young enough to fish hard and old enough to afford it.

:)
Yep. If I could I'd go back to the Bridger to chase goldens. Lord those were good trips. But I can't even carry a pack anymore. Plus after a couple decades traveling all over doing triathlons and a pretty elite level, then bike racing, travelling isn't a really exciting prospect. Just for today, because after I retire who knows.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
This is a fun thread!

I live in central WA and do most fishing relatively close to home. Generally 30-90 minutes away. Early season is coming right up and I always look forward to February and March in the Basin if the lakes aren’t iced…right @Shawn Seeger ?? :p

What I’m dreaming about is returning to the Caribou region of BC this summer with @Irafly @Billy and @Yardus Maximus

A week at fish camp does wonders for my outlook on life. The Canadian experience is different. I’ve traveled and fished a lot in the Rockies and it’s awesome. But those Canadian woods with lakes in every direction have a certain vibe that I’m jonesing to experience again.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Trips are well worth doing, especially when you are young enough to really get after it, like dawn to dusk. There are a few places I won't get back to, and I'm not all that old, but am pretty beat up.
FWIW, my advice is go... go when you are young enough to fish hard and old enough to afford it.

:)
Hopefully we're all lucky enough to have an age range where those overlap

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Yeah it can be a challenge to find that spot for sure. Got to admit, got some deals that made otherwise unaffordable trips affordable, and some DIY trips where other folks had infrastructure in place that made things work.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

Zak

Legend
I admit, my bass interest has kept me from some of my normal summer small creek fishing and I do miss it. Nothing like small wild trout, a 3wt, and a handful of dries on a warm summer day.
Let's hit some streams with 3wts together this summer, @Josh ! What part of the PNW do you hail from?

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm only in my late 40s but I feel myself slowing down a bit. Instead of 3 day floats I've been leaning into road fishing trips. Rowing all day, making camp, breaking camp, cooking, etc. It wears you out quickly.

That scares me. So I am making sure to get the long floats in as much as I can while I can. JD, GR, D, etc.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Off to the area south of Esquel/Patagonis in 28 days for a couple weeks. Really looking forward to see what I’ve missed in the last 30 years. Been checking the weather….96 in Esquel two days ago in the afternoon. Storm coming of the Pacific pulling warmer air with PM winds reaching 25kts. Fall is enroute. Big boys will come out to play. Good Luck @Northern will be waiting for updates. 😉
Then the Green in Utah late May afterwards the wife and I see friends in NorCal then it’s northbound to see what the road brings. May break the 10K mile trip from ‘22.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
How are you NOT retired with all the fishing you do?!
Not quite old enough yet, maybe after spring quarter '25. I get up early, get my online classes ready for the day, grading done, go teach at 7:30 on campus, done at 8:30. Fishing is not far away. No fishing today though, I pick up the littlest at 11:30, older brother at 1:30, for grandpa Wednesday. Probably coco and sleds. Choosing time over cash right now, but I do have an extra 5 credit in-person class this quarter so that Contact 2 will probably be mine by the end of the quarter.

Last edited:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I actually dreamed this this morning.
I dreamed I was on a area 6 beach this February which isn't even here yet. 😆
I caught a sockeye on a rotator. I bled it and placed it on the top of the beach and went back to fishing.
I glanced up the beach to my right and saw a game warden packing a fish back towards his truck as if he'd confiscated
it. 😲
Shit! Is this MA even open I thought.🤔
I walked back up to my fish and perused the scene. There were half a dozen other fish layed out up there others had caught. Coho, wild mature Ocean Chinook, Steelhead, and Blackmouth were on display. Wow I thought to myself, it's amazing to have this variety of salmonids on display in such a small sample size, especially in February.
I went back to fishing. A glance to my right reveals the warden a hundred yards away observing me from a distance. Damn! Is this open for salmon right now?
I better call @Stonedfish, he'll know for sure.
Damn there's the dog barking, she wants out. I gotta get up now.🤣🤣

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Mostly dreaming about sitting on my fat ass in my Hobie on a sunny warm spring afternoon, afloat on one of our OLP stillwaters.

Or possibly a return to fish SE Alaska coastal streams in August...the 'AK Month of Plenty' (Plenty of fish, bugs, and bears)...if I can convince myself that I won't end up as an ursine lunch special. Will feel more confident if my fishing buddy still has a bum knee.

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wish I was dreaming about anything right now, don't even care if it's about fish. Damn sleepless night.

So I find myself planning a trip in June to chase legal bull trout. Need to get proper lines and some flies tied up. I talked to a buddy about doing it last year, but we misses the target season. I won't be denied this year. A few days of backpacking and going after some giants.

Be a totally new venture for me. Got alot of learning and practice to do. Not used to sinking lines and such.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Wish I was dreaming about anything right now, don't even care if it's about fish. Damn sleepless night.

So I find myself planning a trip in June to chase legal bull trout. Need to get proper lines and some flies tied up. I talked to a buddy about doing it last year, but we misses the target season. I won't be denied this year. A few days of backpacking and going after some giants.

Be a totally new venture for me. Got alot of learning and practice to do. Not used to sinking lines and such.
Coffee at 3:50 this morning, sleepless as well.

I have two trips planned to BC this year, early May and late May. The early May trip can be dicey given rising rivers but if you hit it right, oh my, the foam lines, late May is stillwater fishing.

Maybe another big tiger from local waters.