Puget Sound

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I finally did it! I caught my first salmon on the fly. Overslept and missed the early morning ferry. Got there around 9AM. I saw a small school of Pinks surface and jump right from the ferry too. I planned the trip avoiding combat beaches. Beach #1 had a few scattered fishermen. There were what looked like small Blackmouth or Rezzies jumping well out of casting range, but I hooked into a small sculpin. One of my favorite things about fly fishing is that even with a six weight fly rod, small fish are still fun. A school of shiner perch swam right past me, even brushing up against my leg. I wasn’t seeing any tide rips or fish activity closer to shore, so I decided to pack it up and try somewhere else. At this point I was still targeting Pinks, so seeing no pods of fish rising or jumping was discouraging. I picked another beach on the map and started driving. The parking lot was crowded, but fortunately the most promising part of the beach on the map was quite a walk, so most swimmers, dogwalkers, and suntanners weren’t in the way. I found a nice tide rip off a point and starting casting towards it. Within ten minutes of casting, I am stripping my fly back in and pause; That pause and drop is all it takes for a fish to chomp down on my fly savagely. Watching a salmon bite a fly ten feet away from you is something else. It quickly puts itself on the reel, and makes a run. Probably the most fun I have ever had fighting a fish. At one point the fish starts quickly running towards the beach! I was still expecting to be connecting with Pinks, but my first real look at the fish showed round spots on its back: Coho or Blackmouth. I get a good look at the tail and gums, and then see the tail confirming that it is a resi. The fish makes one last run pulling a little line, and i bring it onto shore.

View attachment 78168

I am generally a pessimist, but especially about shore fishing salmon, so I didn’t pack ice. This was a mistake because it meant I lost around 30 minutes buying some, probably missing some chances at connection as this was just around tide change. When I got back, slack tide meant a good serving of Puget Sound Garden Salad, so I did some exploring. I saw a smaller fish jumping well within casting range up the beach, so I decided to look for some more spots.

View attachment 78169

I was rewarded with some more marine diversity. As I made my way back to my original spot, I learned the hard way to never give up on a retrieve, when I pulled my fly out to backcast right as a 1-2lb resi was about to commit. One more sculpin decided to play, and then I got another chance at a smallish resi! This time he committed. Unfortunately I still need practice fighting fish while stripping them in, and this one was too small to put itself on the reel. I put too much tension and it got off. I’d call it a long distance release, I probably wouldn’t have brought him home.

View attachment 78170

View attachment 78171

View attachment 78172

I have a small collection of buzzbombs but those are probably staying in the drawer from now on
Congratulations.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Hit the beach before work. Beautiful morning. Went 2-4 and came home with a couple of typical rezzies. Lost a higher quality fish early when it jumped and spit me.

Nice sunrise.

IMG_3071.jpeg

Fish for the freezer.

IMG_3072.jpeg

First time fishing this color combo. Mostly white and iridescent blue with a whisper of chartreuse. Decent amount of GITD material tied in for early morning.

IMG_3073.jpeg

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have you guys noticed a decrease in size of the Rezzies this year? Last year I remember catching multiple 3-4lb fish in June, now 3-4lbs is the average size I catch in august. I wonder if the high catch rates in the downrigger fishery have led to the faster growing fish being selected against

Smalma

Life of the Party
Without a doubt the summer long fishery (whether by gear or the fly angles) consistently selects against faster growing resident coho. The fastest growing coho are the first to convert a diet that is primarily fish (herring) and thus become more catchable. If they are caught and harvested as sub 20 inch fish they will not grow into 24 inch fish.

This year the intense (and unusual) mid summer resident coho fishery MA 10 during June and July will limit the access to the larger ocean coho as they return over the next 6 weeks or so (a 1 fish limit).

Curt

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Forum Supporter
Despite the early MA10 season there are a ton of resident coho out there still. And.. the hatchery "ocean" coho have just started to trickle into Puget Sound. Stay positive

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You know that's got me thinking. I should bottle up this pink slime and sell it as an all natural lubricant at the Ballard farmers market. The hipsters would love it!
Dry it and sell it as Hippie Humpy Hemp.
SF

Have you guys noticed a decrease in size of the Rezzies this year? Last year I remember catching multiple 3-4lb fish in June, now 3-4lbs is the average size I catch in august. I wonder if the high catch rates in the downrigger fishery have led to the faster growing fish being selected against

Doesn’t seem much different this year than last year.
Plan on releasing more unclipped hatchery fish in the future though where unclipped fish can’t be retained.
That might make for some bigger fish where you can bonk unclipped fish.
SF

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Wind and other obligations kept me off the water this last week, but was able to get out there today.

Six weeks or so ago my son asked about taking his buddy from work out fishing. Said he was super interested in fishing but hadn't done much. Well it just worked out that today, my birthday of all days, we were able to make it happen.

Day started with my son and buddy over sleeping and getting to the launch a bit over an hour late. I was bummed cause I thought that early morning high exchange was going to be our best shot at coho, but luckily I was way off.

Even getting a late start and missing the tide change we found absurdly good coho fishing. I had them rigged up to cast cut plug herring on spinning rods, and after a slow half hour start it was suddenly insane action for the next few hours. Schools of coho were coming in and absolutely going ape shit over giant schools of tiny sandlance. Several times they reminded me of albacore crashing bait. They were ravenous. We quickly had 5 hatchery fish on ice, lost a handful, missed a bunch, and released several because we were not quite ready to quit. Just blew me away how good it was. I totally expected the day to be a pink show, as that's an easy way to get first timers onto some fish, but was thrilled with the quality of the coho fishing.

I did pull out the bug rod for maybe 10 minutes and quickly hooked and lost two nice fish, but today was about letting those guys fish and just getting to spend time with my son.

We sat on one nice rip that came off a point till about 10 or so before the sun got high and the rip finally died out. There were still schools of coho coming through but they got pretty skittish and were tough to get to bite. We did release one pink during this period as well.

Needing one more fish for our limit, and my son's friend curious about pinks, we headed a couple miles away and found a few schools that would pop up here and there and give us shots at em. We lost three or four before we finally put our last fish into the net and headed back. Hit the dock right around noon.

In what has been one of the most trying years of my life it was a true joy to get to have my boy out with me today, and watching the stoke those two young men had for their day was just awesome. Sent em home with a whole pile of fillets to smoke up.

Just a stunning sunrise

20230817_055809-02.jpeg

Stoked to get the last fish of the day

20230817_114925-01.jpeg

A birthday I will cherish

20230817_121725-01.jpeg

Rough day out there

20230817_122110.jpg

Every coho was just stuffed with tiny sandlance

20230817_125311-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Wind and other obligations kept me off the water this last week, but was able to get out there today.

Six weeks or so ago my son asked about taking his buddy from work out fishing. Said he was super interested in fishing but hadn't done much. Well it just worked out that today, my birthday of all days, we were able to make it happen.

Day started with my son and buddy over sleeping and getting to the launch a bit over an hour late. I was bummed cause I thought that early morning high exchange was going to be our best shot at coho, but luckily I was way off.

Even getting a late start and missing the tide change we found absurdly good coho fishing. I had them rigged up to cast cut plug herring on spinning rods, and after a slow half hour start it was suddenly insane action for the next few hours. Schools of coho were coming in and absolutely going ape shit over giant schools of tiny sandlance. Several times they reminded me of albacore crashing bait. They were ravenous. We quickly had 5 hatchery fish on ice, lost a handful, missed a bunch, and released several because we were not quite ready to quit. Just blew me away how good it was. I totally expected the day to be a pink show, as that's an easy way to get first timers onto some fish, but was thrilled with the quality of the coho fishing.

I did pull out the bug rod for maybe 10 minutes and quickly hooked and lost two nice fish, but today was about letting those guys fish and just getting to spend time with my son.

We sat on one nice rip that came off a point till about 10 or so before the sun got high and the rip finally died out. There were still schools of coho coming through but they got pretty skittish and were tough to get to bite. We did release one pink during this period as well.

Needing one more fish for our limit, and my sons friend curious about pinks, we headed a couple miles away and found a few schools that would pop up here and there and give us shots at em. We lost three or four before we finally put our last fish into the net and headed back. Hit the dock right around noon.

In what has been one of the most trying years of my life it was a true joy to get to have my boy out with me today, and watching the stoke those two young men had for their day was just awesome. Sent em home with a whole pile of fillets to smoke up.

Just a stunning sunrise

View attachment 78231

View attachment 78232

View attachment 78233

Rough day out there

View attachment 78235

View attachment 78234

Happy Birthday!
SF

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter

Needing one more fish for our limit, and my sons friend curious about pinks, we headed a couple miles away and found a few schools that would pop up here and there and give us shots at em. We lost three or four before we finally put our last fish into the net and headed back. Hit the dock right around noon.

Just a stunning sunrise

View attachment 78231

View attachment 78232

View attachment 78233

Rough day out there

View attachment 78235

View attachment 78234
Looks like a sucky birthday in a sucky place!

Zak

Legend

Just a stunning sunrise

View attachment 78231

View attachment 78232

View attachment 78233

Rough day out there

View attachment 78235

View attachment 78234
Happy Birthday!

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

Needing one more fish for our limit, and my son's friend curious about pinks, we headed a couple miles away and found a few schools that would pop up here and there and give us shots at em. We lost three or four before we finally put our last fish into the net and headed back. Hit the dock right around noon.

Just a stunning sunrise

View attachment 78231

View attachment 78232

View attachment 78233

Rough day out there

View attachment 78235

View attachment 78234

Awesome way to spend your birthday, with some solid quality fish to boot!

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter

Just a stunning sunrise

View attachment 78231

View attachment 78232

View attachment 78233

Rough day out there

View attachment 78235

View attachment 78234
Happy birthday man!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I finally did it! I caught my first salmon on the fly. Overslept and missed the early morning ferry. Got there around 9AM. I saw a small school of Pinks surface and jump right from the ferry too. I planned the trip avoiding combat beaches. Beach #1 had a few scattered fishermen. There were what looked like small Blackmouth or Rezzies jumping well out of casting range, but I hooked into a small sculpin. One of my favorite things about fly fishing is that even with a six weight fly rod, small fish are still fun. A school of shiner perch swam right past me, even brushing up against my leg. I wasn’t seeing any tide rips or fish activity closer to shore, so I decided to pack it up and try somewhere else. At this point I was still targeting Pinks, so seeing no pods of fish rising or jumping was discouraging. I picked another beach on the map and started driving. The parking lot was crowded, but fortunately the most promising part of the beach on the map was quite a walk, so most swimmers, dogwalkers, and suntanners weren’t in the way. I found a nice tide rip off a point and starting casting towards it. Within ten minutes of casting, I am stripping my fly back in and pause; That pause and drop is all it takes for a fish to chomp down on my fly savagely. Watching a salmon bite a fly ten feet away from you is something else. It quickly puts itself on the reel, and makes a run. Probably the most fun I have ever had fighting a fish. At one point the fish starts quickly running towards the beach! I was still expecting to be connecting with Pinks, but my first real look at the fish showed round spots on its back: Coho or Blackmouth. I get a good look at the tail and gums, and then see the tail confirming that it is a resi. The fish makes one last run pulling a little line, and i bring it onto shore.

View attachment 78168

I am generally a pessimist, but especially about shore fishing salmon, so I didn’t pack ice. This was a mistake because it meant I lost around 30 minutes buying some, probably missing some chances at connection as this was just around tide change. When I got back, slack tide meant a good serving of Puget Sound Garden Salad, so I did some exploring. I saw a smaller fish jumping well within casting range up the beach, so I decided to look for some more spots.

View attachment 78169

I was rewarded with some more marine diversity. As I made my way back to my original spot, I learned the hard way to never give up on a retrieve, when I pulled my fly out to backcast right as a 1-2lb resi was about to commit. One more sculpin decided to play, and then I got another chance at a smallish resi! This time he committed. Unfortunately I still need practice fighting fish while stripping them in, and this one was too small to put itself on the reel. I put too much tension and it got off. I’d call it a long distance release, I probably wouldn’t have brought him home.

View attachment 78170

View attachment 78171

View attachment 78172

I have a small collection of buzzbombs but those are probably staying in the drawer from now on
It would have killed me to leave fish to go find ice.

If it were me I’d probably have run some 12lb leader through its (sliced) gills and mouth as a stringer, tied it to a stick, then let it wash in the water while I kept fishing.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Hit the beach before work. Beautiful morning. Went 2-4 and came home with a couple of typical rezzies. Lost a higher quality fish early when it jumped and spit me.

Nice sunrise.

View attachment 78186

Fish for the freezer.

View attachment 78185

First time fishing this color combo. Mostly white and iridescent blue with a whisper of chartreuse. Decent amount of GITD material tied in for early morning.

View attachment 78184
Cool fly pattern! No bead or eyes or weight?