Wok thread

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
What about induction? My wok has a flat bottom. Our stove is a glass top and I’m not sure it’ll work well. I may have gotten the cart ahead of the horse…

Shad

Life of the Party
It would probably depend on the model. We have one and it isn't even close to enough. You'll want to find something with probably at minimum like 50,000 BTU if you can.

My Bosch range has 20,000 BTU on the wok burner, which gets us by if we don't overload the wok. The outdoor burner is for the heavy lifting.
By comparison, the burners we used were 80K BTU. Light it up, and the wok would be smoking hot after a count to 3. Most dishes took about a minute to cook, start to finish. HOT!!!

Shad

Life of the Party
What about induction? My wok has a flat bottom. Our stove is a glass top and I’m not sure it’ll work well. I may have gotten the cart ahead of the horse…
You can use a cook top. It's hard to keep it hot enough, but realistically, any conventional stove falls short of complete adequacy for wok cooking. Doesn't mean we can't still come pretty close with some learning.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
You can use a cook top. It's hard to keep it hot enough, but realistically, any conventional stove falls short of complete adequacy for wok cooking. Doesn't mean we can't still come pretty close with some learning.
I’m going to try our cook top first. If it’s not up to the task I’m looking at a Camp Chef 14” single burner for the garage. It’s rated at 30,000 BTU’s.

Zak

Legend
I’m going to try our cook top first. If it’s not up to the task I’m looking at a Camp Chef 14” single burner for the garage. It’s rated at 30,000 BTU’s.
You might consider the two-burner. It takes up more space, but for outdoor cooking a second burner can come in handy (and for car camping, being able to perc coffeee while frying eggs is golden).

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I’m seasoning the wok, but it seems localized at this point. With use will it spread around more?IMG_8874.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I have the same set up. It works okay. It’s not pro grade but you can get the job done, especially if you don’t overload it with food.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Just my take as I haven't tried it: But I can't see it working the same. The thing with woks is you want heat directly all the way up the sides, and you can really only get that with flame.

With an induction and a flat bottom, I'm sure it'd be a good cooking pan you can dial in, but when following wok recipes, keep in mind it'll behave quite differently than what is likely being used in the recipe.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Just my take as I haven't tried it: But I can't see it working the same. The thing with woks is you want heat directly all the way up the sides, and you can really only get that with flame.

With an induction and a flat bottom, I'm sure it'd be a good cooking pan you can dial in, but when following wok recipes, keep in mind it'll behave quite differently than what is likely being used in the recipe.
Evan, I’ve been watching Ken Hom videos and he uses a cook top and seems to do fine. But I can see where a larger diameter gas flame would heat more surface of the wok.

Chucker

Steelhead

That is pretty much how it is with a flat bottom wok on induction. The bottom can actually get too hot, and the sides are not hot enough. It’s pretty much the only downside of having an induction stove.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
So now I’ve read the manual and it says not to use it in a garage, dang it. I cleared a spot for it. I guess I’ll just be woking on nice days…

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
YES! I was really bummed that an electric range was the only option with the new house (under construction). We had a gas range at the house we sold and man do I miss it - and a real wok. Something like this WILL be on the back deck, maybe more than one for canning.