Whitefish suggestions

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I know it was odd to some, but I had never caught a whitefish, so with steelhead fishing closed I chased something new.
20220208_firstwhitefish.jpg
This one, my first, fell to a bead head hares ear fished on a ESN rod. I had sized down from my normal sz 8 to a 10 with a big bead.

I put together a list of suggestions that I found helpful.

Tie up some prince nymphs. If there are whitefish around, they'll eat it.

Whitefish like sparkle. Flashback

A rubber legged hare's ear or a PTX, both with white rubber legs are good whitefish choices as well.

I caught a lot of whitefish on the ......... recently. Salmon were spawning and I was fishing Euro nymphs. The whitefish were beating the trout to the flies. It was good practice learning to set the hook quicker. The Yakima River has whitefish in it as well. Never seen one on the waters you are fishing, but have fun in your pursuit!

The winter is a traditional time to target whitefish here in Washington. At this time of year as Eastside mentioned if there are spawning salmon fishing egg patterns can be effective; targeting the shallow water below the spawning salmon or the riffles immediately below the spawner. The other significant opportunity is associated with the spawning of the whitefish themselves. They are late fall/early winter spawners (as water temperatures drop into the lower 40s). At that time they congregate in large schools in a deep pool. Not uncommon for nearly the entire of population of mature whitefish in a give section river (could be several miles) to collect in that pool. Post spawn most of the fish remain in that pool for much of the winter.

To take advantage of that behavior cover lots of water focusing on the deep pools until a holding pool is found (that can be an annual collecting point if there are not river changes). Where possible I high bank those deeper pools looking for the schooling whitefish. Once a school is found for the fly angler suspending a small nymph a foot or so off the bottom in the slower deeper water can be productive. I have not had a lot in the boiling/eddying water often found in deepest water and rather focus on the more even flows as the water just starts to deepen. On some of the larger western rivers I have fished once a deep pool with school whitefish is found a number of fish can be caught without moving.

Have fun

Compacted 12" minus with not a lot of structure, shaped like a bowl. I find them as the bowl turns upwards at the tail out. Always figured it fitted their down turned mouth in relationship with their eyes, and their body shape.

In my experience, targeting whitefish is very different from targeting trout. Trout can be found in any part of the water column and mostly eat at eye level or above. In comparison, whitefish tend to stay on the bottom and mostly eat at eye level or below.

When I have caught whitefish, I was always using too much weight to catch trout. As soon as I reduced the weight of my rig, I started catching trout again.

If you want to catch whitefish, I suggest putting on an obscenely heavy stonefly nymph and really dredging the bottom. Also, I never caught a whitefish before I got on the Euro train, so tight lining or high sticking is probably the way to go.

If your nymph is bouncing on the bottom and there are Whities about, you will catch them.

This time of year and through the winter, you'll find those short-fin grayling and trout in the same areas. Otherwise, yes, slightly slower (typically) water than trout. Personally, depth has never been a deciding factor between the two. Then again I've caught them on all of the same flies as trout. Not really sure why anyone would poo poo catching them. They're fun , they pull hard and in many locations they get really big. Hell, sometimes they'll even rise to a dry fly and take small streamers.

Also, I've never caught one on any of the ....... rivers (fished them a fair bit in HS and college). What does the district bio say about their distribution in that area?

In my experience, when you find water that's just a little too slow for trout (and often deep), you've found whitefish water. Of course in cold water the trout may very well be holding in slower-than-usual spots as well. Yes to small(ish) flies, yes to deep, yes to water with big boulders. I've found depth is more important than pattern, or even pattern size. If you can run a nymph over a good-sized boulder that's down deep, there will be a whitefish waiting for you.

I love [...] devoted to the lowly (in some opinions) native Whitefish. I am always delighted when I see the classic goldish scales on a caught fish. IMO, Whities are a highlight, especially when that catch nails a western river native trifecta.

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Great write-up, Tom! Thanks!

One thing to add is that anglers need to check if whitefish gear rules are in place on the river. If so, the following applies:

View attachment 4236

Does that mean whitefish must be retained, or are that whitefish can be retained? Because when I'm having a good whitefish day, that's a lot of whitefish.

And Tom, great writeup. Until far too recently, I was a little disappointed with a whitefish instead of a trout. Now, I'm happy to chase them. They fight, and jump. I just feel a little bad when I see that sad little face in my net:p

Like many trout fishermen, I suspect, I rarely target whitefish, but when I hook one I am usually pleased to connect with another one of our native fish species. it often leads to me to chase them for a while, if no one else is looking; one could say I'm a closet whitefish fisherman.

I am typically a dry fly fisherman on moving water, and as Tom says you can occasionally catch one on a dry, but it is pretty rare. In an effort to become a better nymph fisherman, and to learn a bit more about a favorite river, I recently got in the habit of fishing each pool or run with dries and then when I was satisfied that I had covered it thoroughly, go back through it with a nymph or pair of nymphs. I learned a lot of things, but one of the most frequent results was to catch whiteys on the nymph right where I had been catching trout on dries. I would also often catch as many trout the second time through with nymphs.

Several years ago I was fishing a nice run on the Yakima in December at the time whiteys are spawning. I was working my way up through the run and catching trout, trout, trout, trout, whitey, whitey, whitey, whitey, etc., all on the same fly. It was like a switch had been turned. So, I went back to the end of the run and did it again with the same pattern of results and the transition occurring in the same place on the run. My interpretation is that there was a large mass of spawning whiteys in the upper run and trout below them scooping up eggs in the drift.

Another whitey anecdote comes from an experience on a small headwater trip of a well-known river in Montana a couple summers ago. This was small water; the kind where you sometimes walk 50-100 yards to find a pocket or small pool to cast to. At one point a log sticking out from the bank created a lie that looked like it might hold a fish or two. On the first or second cast it produced a gorgeous westslope cutthroat of about 18". In keeping with my dry first, nymph second experiment, a few casts later that same little scoop produced an whitey of nearly equal size. I could never imagine one fish of that size, much less two of different species cohabiting there. I would never have known about the whitefish, if I had just stayed with dries. Pics of the fish below.

Middle Fork Rock Creek 3.jpegRGO Middle Fork Rock Creek AY 7.jpeg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Im loving the love for the whitey! When I lived in Pullman I really got more into flyfishing, specifically on little palouse tribs for whitefish. They were generally small (under 12") in the small water but would take nymphs all day and would come up to dries in the afternoon. And every now and again, huge redbands would come out of nowhere 😁😁

Willing whitefish and bluegill are what I try to find to introduce people to flyfishing. Its still not terribly easy for a first timer but the success/effort ratio is usually in your favor. Having a fishery available where success could be expected really allowed the flyrod to sink its teeth into me.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
i found out on how to fish for them on a 2 nymph set up. A SJW on the top and a red zebra nymph as the bottom nymph. If I fish for trout I will use a Black zebra nymph on the bottom. This is in the Beaverhead.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
all hail the almighty whitey short-fin grayling.

Dr0Wa9D.jpg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Great info!

I have always enjoyed catching whities. They are a native fish and have kept the skunk off many times.

Still remember the first time I caught a big one in WA and got cussed out by a fellow across the river who was incised that I would release it instead of takign it home and frying it up. He insisted they were his favorite fish to eat.