Whats in your smoker?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Cold smoked albacore lox.
When will appetizers be served? That looks amazing. I'd love to try it. I really like the hot smoked tuna I've made. Can only imagine how yummy that must be. How does the texture compare to cold smoked salmon lox?

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
When will appetizers be served? That looks amazing. I'd love to try it. I really like the hot smoked tuna I've made. Can only imagine how yummy that must be. How does the texture compare to cold smoked salmon lox?
Hey Matt, it’s relatively similar to cold smoked salmon lox. Found some info on a BC fishing forum on brine methods for tuna lox which is pretty much the same as salmon lox. Salt/sugar dry brine, rinse and soak in fresh water as needed. Air dry before cold smoking. Definitely worthy of a try next season!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've been told it better be done by halftime. Luhr Jensen smoked steel delux recipe, subbed teriyaki for soy and orange juice for white wine.
20240107_133005.jpg

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Quite the mix of items on the drum smoker today

Ras el hanout cauliflower for tonight's dinner
Pickle brined black cod for a future smorrebrod application
St. Louis ribs for tomorrow's dinner, just have to warm, glaze, and grill

Dude that is a drool worthy pic! That cauliflower really interests me, considering I'm eating a lot of such things these days.

We caught a few black cod the other day. Customers took the meat home of course but it definitely had me dreaming of eating some. It's been a while.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Dude that is a drool worthy pic! That cauliflower really interests me, considering I'm eating a lot of such things these days.

We caught a few black cod the other day. Customers took the meat home of course but it definitely had me dreaming of eating some. It's been a while.
First time smoking a head of cauliflower for me, it turned out great. I'd previously roasted a whole head in the oven with the same seasonings. The smoked version was super tasty, it would be great as part of a vegetarian gyro.

Black cod is an amazing fish to cook, so much fat in it that it can take cooking techniques most other white flesh fish can't and its almost impossible to overcook it. What depth were you finding them at? I've heard that in most cases it's 500+ feet.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Our favorite black cod recipe;

Works equally well with Chilean Sea Bass. Easier to find in Arizona.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
First time smoking a head of cauliflower for me, it turned out great. I'd previously roasted a whole head in the oven with the same seasonings. The smoked version was super tasty, it would be great as part of a vegetarian gyro.

Black cod is an amazing fish to cook, so much fat in it that it can take cooking techniques most other white flesh fish can't and its almost impossible to overcook it. What depth were you finding them at? I've heard that in most cases it's 500+ feet.

We were halibut fishing in about 530'. We catch a fair amount of them on halibut days, which are the only days we can fish deep enough to really expect to encounter them.

I've caught juvenile ones in shallower water a few times, but 500-700' is where I've seen them the most. I know they are deeper as well, we just don't fish much deeper than that.

One of our boats caught around 15 of them on the halibut opener. They're always a pleasant bonus offshore.