What leader should I be looking at for steelhead?

Chinookie

Just Hatched
Is this going to work for steelhead? Or do I need to be looking at something else?

For the length of the leader... if I'm using streamers/nymphing on a floating line, I want the leader to be about the same length of the rod I'm using? And if I'm using a streamer on a sinking poly/versileader, I'd attach the streamer with about 2' to 4' of 0X tippet on that versileader?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I wanted to follow up with you to clarify. You aren't adding any tippet to the 15# ug? You're running level for the whole setup, swinging and nymphing?
Correct. My philosophy about sh is that you can more often get a bite if they're pissed off or concerned. If a fly looks like a threat (parasite like a leech, etc) or something that's irritating them (invading fish or whatsit) they fight back with their only weapon--biting it.

The times I've nymphed have been close to where they come out of the salt and I think it's more of an instinctive bite.

But I've never (so far as I can tell) run into a leader-shy sh. I have, however, fished 12lb and less and broken them off.

YMMV

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Regardless of how you are fishing for steelhead there is no substitute for tying your own maxima leaders in my opinion.

3 feet 30lb
2 feet 25lb
1 ft 20lb
8" 15lb
8" 12 lb
3 feet of 10lb
Scale up and down to meet your exact needs.

Poly leaders or sink tips 2-3 feet of 10 or 12 lb. The heavier the fly the longer your leader can be.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Regardless of the leader you decide to use please remember that it is of paramount importance that the length of your leader should at all times exceed the distance between your fly and the end of your fly line.
Good to know...I've been doing it wrong...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Regardless of the leader you decide to use please remember that it is of paramount importance that the length of your leader should at all times exceed the distance between your fly and the end of your fly line.
Shit. My tippet + leader have been shorter than the distance between line and fly all these years.

No wonder I lose so many flies.