Urban bass close to home

WindKnot

Steelhead
I love fishing. I think about it all the time. I'm constantly scouring the map for new places and reminiscing about favorite haunts. For some reason, these thoughts are always of places far away. I have a spot very close to my house that I go sometimes. It's close enough I can even walk there. "Why don't I go here more often?" I thought this evening as I went to get my fly rod.

It's a pleasant walk from my house.
IMG_1068.jpg

I tied on my current favorite smallmouth fly. A simple polliwog tail (from Spawn Fly Fish) with a dubbed body and no weight. With a sink tip line, it's like fishing a senko on a fly rod and get's great action (also works well in some trout situations).

IMG_1070_jpg (1).JPG

Started catching some very small, but enthusiastic fish immediately.
IMG_1072.JPG

Got distracted by some giant blackberries.
IMG_1076.jpg

The size of fish started improving as I moved down.
IMG_1080.jpg

The area is super snaggy with sharp rocks, wood, and old metal in the water. I had to retie a few times. As daylight was fading, I hooked a very nice fish. The powerful runs and head-shakes indicated it was a lot bigger than what I encountered so far. And then that dreaded pop where your line goes slack...it had broken me off (3x) at a bad knot. Darn. Never saw it, but I know from past trips what it could have been.

As I walked home, I felt sense of peace and contentment. I had a big list of chores and work I could have been doing this evening. This was a lot more fun.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I love fishing. I think about it all the time. I'm constantly scouring the map for new places and reminiscing about favorite haunts. For some reason, these thoughts are always of places far away. I have a spot very close to my house that I go sometimes. It's close enough I can even walk there. "Why don't I go here more often?" I thought this evening as I went to get my fly rod.

It's a pleasant walk from my house.
View attachment 76968

I tied on my current favorite smallmouth fly. A simple polliwog tail (from Spawn Fly Fish) with a dubbed body and no weight. With a sink tip line, it's like fishing a senko on a fly rod and get's great action (also works well in some trout situations).

View attachment 76969

Started catching some very small, but enthusiastic fish immediately.
View attachment 76970

Got distracted by some giant blackberries.
View attachment 76971

The size of fish started improving as I moved down.
View attachment 76972

The area is super snaggy with sharp rocks, wood, and old metal in the water. I had to retie a few times. As daylight was fading, I hooked a very nice fish. The powerful runs and head-shakes indicated it was a lot bigger than what I encountered so far. And then that dreaded pop where your line goes slack...it had broken me off (3x) at a bad knot. Darn. Never saw it, but I know from past trips what it could have been.

As I walked home, I felt sense of peace and contentment. I had a big list of chores and work I could have been doing this evening. This was a lot more fun.
Way to make it happen close to home and recharge the ol’ batteries. Nice fish and fly, too. One suggestion: bump up your tippet when fishing bass. That’s a pretty big fly, too, which might be easier to get to lay out straight with some heavier tippet. For bass fishing I would not hesitate using 12 lb test material, or even larger, so 1x or 0x if you’re using trout tippet.