Tropical freshwater

rotato

Steelhead
Greetings
Just though we could have a thread to share freshwater opportunities in the tropics006467B5-4966-467C-8B5F-673373B74F4B.jpeg
So here is a spot I wish I had more time to explore
I caught a handful of papio and lost a nice peacock in the seam between this rejoining river.
I so wanted to swim across and travel up the jungle river

I really enjoyed the familiarity of a stream while not knowing what kind of fish would eat.
I know it’s not Bolivia but super fun
I know you guys have bigger and better missions into this environ so please share
Cheers

Jisabi

Steelhead
A couple years back I had the opportunity to explore the upper Kafue River. I wish I had had more time to explore it before sunset. I was after various tilapia species and tigerfish. The last pic is of my local guide for the day walking past hippo tracks. I was warned not to eat any fish out of the river though due to blue effluent being dumped directly into the river by the Chinese operating the mines above.

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_160646.jpg
    IMG_20190728_160646.jpg
    934.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190730_174742.jpg
    IMG_20190730_174742.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190730_174726.jpg
    IMG_20190730_174726.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 31

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It wasnt fly fishing. Just some string, a hook and chicken meat, but some piranha. Tributary to Ucayali River, which is one of the two majors rivers that join to form the Amazon in Peru.
105_3374.JPG

I didnt get to fish, but Lake Tonele sap in Cambodia. Definelty some fish in there. Very cool grey blue hue to it in the dry season. Calming effect.
105_2146.JPG

I'll be in costa rica in May with intentions to hit a river there for Tarpon, or hopefully get into Nicaragua for better tarpon fishing.

Im actually shocked how little freshwater fishing I've done in my travels. Got salt pics for days, but not so much freshwater....need to change that.
Funny, the date on my camera must be wrong. Peru trip was like 2018/2019 or so.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
The Ndgo and Iguela lagoon systems of Gabon have so much fishing opportunity and wildlife. Not much competition from other fly fishermen :ROFLMAO:. This area is only semi-explored for sport fishing potential, much to learn.
Dylan-Rose-10.jpg
20221003_113438.jpg
Dylan-Rose-46.jpg
Dylan-Rose-59.jpg
Dylan-Rose-02841.jpg

rotato

Steelhead
It wasnt fly fishing. Just some string, a hook and chicken meat, but some piranha. Tributary to Ucayali River, which is one of the two majors rivers that join to form the Amazon in Peru.
View attachment 101130

I didnt get to fish, but Lake Tonele sap in Cambodia. Definelty some fish in there. Very cool grey blue hue to it in the dry season. Calming effect.
View attachment 101131

I'll be in costa rica in May with intentions to hit a river there for Tarpon, or hopefully get into Nicaragua for better tarpon fishing.

Im actually shocked how little freshwater fishing I've done in my travels. Got salt pics for days, but not so much freshwater....need to change that.

nice!
is that a crazy long outboard engine back there?

rotato

Steelhead

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 101130

View attachment 101131

Cost Rica has some interesting fresh water species in the rivers heading into the Gulf…try some poppers inland between tarpon & snook fishing…

As far as piranha are concerned, I wonder if they would take a flesh fly?…

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Cost Rica has some interesting fresh water species in the rivers heading into the Gulf…try some poppers inland between tarpon & snook fishing…

As far as piranha are concerned, I wonder if they would take a flesh fly?…
Yes, tarpon or snook is the goal.
Back up plan is I'll be on lake Arenal for a few days, I'm sure I can sneak sway from the wife to go after some rainbow bass (large cichlid). Assuming that would be poppers and such also.

I'm not sure in piranha. We were basically jigging with chicken meat. Hard to hook initially. We would swish the water alot, drop in the meat and then they'd hit. Commotion was key.
Maybe just a fuzzy shitty fly with some scent on it? Or maybe a baby bird pattern, and alpt of swishing. Think that might be the ticket
My gut tells me they wouldn't go for a basic fly presentation of any sort. There were plenty of smaller "fish tank" looking fish all around that they paid no attention to.
Someone should try it though lol