Trailer registration question (Oregon to Washington)

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I keep finding the boat I am after (older Clack or Lavro, with an adjustable/movable rowing bench, and rear storage/bench) but in Oregon and not Washington. Since Oregon does not require trailers to be licensed I've been reading up on the subject and it sounds like a bit of a pain. Has anyone done it recently (all the forum posts I find out there are years old). If so what was the rough cost? Was it really as painful as people are saying?

Here is the process as I understand it:
1) Buy the boat, get the bill of sale notarized
2) Buy a trip permit and get it home
3) Schedule a WSP trailer inspection and buy permit for the trip
4) Go to the DOL and get it licensed
5) Wait 3 years for the title to arrive

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I bought a home-made trailer with a 12 foot boat years ago and did all the steps above, but I definitely didn't have to wait 3 years for a title. Not sure where you got that info, but that was not my experience at all.
My first WSP inspection failed because it didn't have fenders. I suspected it might, but I went for it anyway. After the fenders were added, it passed no problem.
I want to say it took about a month to get my title, maybe even less. Good luck!

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
3 years is for a title in doubt I believe. That would be what you have to file if you can't do all the steps required.

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Oh awesome. I found the 3 year quote over on iFish. Maybe the process has changed, so as @Billy noted maybe its for a title in doubt. Thanks everyone!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
One thing I found when looking into the feasibility of titling a home built trailer a couple years ago, was that the WSP had used the pandemic to drastically curtail their inspection operations. Where you used to be able to go to your nearest WSP office (which in my case would've been Enumclaw) to get the inspection, at the time I looked it was only being offered at the downtown Tacoma facility, and had pretty limited hours / days where they would do the inspections. This meant I was looking at scheduling a visit and waiting a long time. I ended up not going that route and hopefully things have changed to be easier now. But that really turned me off from trying to build a trailer.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!