Suggestions for late winter/early spring bass...

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Bass are being caught now by gear guys all over western washington. Seriously considering hitting the local puddle tomorrow. Weather be damned. If my "honeydew" isn't too long, I'll report back. I have always heard the biggest fish are the prespawn female, so I'd like to shake fins with one this year.
Good luck man. I remember back in college constantly chasing the big prespawn females. They’ll take you for a ride if you’re not careful.

RCF

Life of the Party
I finally got out to a local King County lake a couple of times this week. Expectations were low and that I succeeded in getting close to. I have been waiting for a little bit warmer conditions and limited wind. The last couple of days met that.

Lily pads are growing well and are about 2' from the surface. Water clarity was about 4'. I also saw a couple of different hatches - one about size 18 tan fly. What surprised me was I saw a number crappie in the shallows, about 5 feet from shore, eating emerging flies. I always thought bass came first followed by crappie. So the bass must be in also. When trolling for trout I had numerous bumps from warm-water species but not one bump from a trout. I was able to catch a nice, healthy 18" trout - so not skunked at least.

We need a few more days of nice, warm weather, not snow showers in the forecast like for this week-end, to get the fishing more productive...

Impatiently waiting for better weather resulting in nice hatches on the lake...

Last edited:

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Against my better judgment I gave it a try on this cool April saturday. Pretty slow, but:

7749A5C1-3EF3-46EC-A3BE-0E194D59D8F6.jpegC9317D48-C25D-4008-8112-F2B0B9B615D8.jpeg

Not the biggest Bessie at the ball, but fun on the 4wt. Also caught one very enterprising stocker bow on that pattern.

Caught casting toward shore in the shallows on the north side of a lake. The take was in a few feet of water.

Hoping for more and bigger once we get a few 60 degree days in a row!