NFR Salamander ID

Non-fishing related

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Found this little guy cleaning up leaves and debris under a rhododendron just now. I’m in the stilly valley at about 650’ elevation, lots of trees and natural landscape. Never seen one of these and I can’t quite find a photo online of one that seems to match. Including tail, probably 3-3.5” long. Pretty translucent and seems to have no markings. Any suggestions?97BE9838-5783-4E75-9DFB-E12256C8606A.jpegD982B951-6D9D-4979-91D3-2C3AC3D3542A.jpegF506F388-FA45-4650-B108-53FF01315711.jpeg

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Most likely a Northwestern Salamander

I pulled out my old copy of Amphibians and Reptiles of Western North America, Robert Stebbins (1954) and your description and pics fit the key pretty well.
The photos I see of the NW salamander show a pretty stocky body and the face doesn’t quite look right to me. This guy is very slender almost worm like.

This species looks like it might be a good match on second look, and the description of the base of the tail really keyed me into it.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like that Crearch’r.

Where did you see this critter, that would be helpful?

Take a look at: amphibians of Washington and Oregon. Seattle Audubon society.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I like that Crearch’r.

Where did you see this critter, that would be helpful?

Take a look at: amphibians of Washington and Oregon. Seattle Audubon society.
I was cleaning out leaves and fallen blossoms beneath one of my rhodies and in the very center under a hard to reach pile of duff I uncovered him. That rhodie is on the corner of my garage and the downspout for the gutter comes down right there. I can’t even begin to tell ya how many toads and tree frogs I see in and around that rhodie in the spring and summer. Because of that I don’t go near it with a rake or weed eater so it’s a manual labor kinda job to clean it up.

For now he’s under close supervision of my kids in a little terrarium while they learn about their new friend. We will probably release him tomorrow.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Where in the Northwest did you find - city, county, mountains, etc.

Nice under the rhodie.

We have a heavily wooded lot down in Normandy Park. I try to keep a fallen leaf border for just such critters - cover, moisture and food.

Dr. magill - it’s rough skinned newts you don’t lick.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Where in the Northwest did you find - city, county, mountains, etc.

Nice under the rhodie.

We have a heavily wooded lot down in Normandy Park. I try to keep a fallen leaf border for just such critters - cover, moisture and food.

Dr. magill - it’s rough skinned newts you don’t lick.
I live outside of Arlington on a little mountain above the NF Stilly. It’s all woods out here. We are always finding a new critter to spend the night in the terrarium lol.

Rainforest Gump

Steelhead
Found this little guy cleaning up leaves and debris under a rhododendron just now. I’m in the stilly valley at about 650’ elevation, lots of trees and natural landscape. Never seen one of these and I can’t quite find a photo online of one that seems to match. Including tail, probably 3-3.5” long. Pretty translucent and seems to have no markings. Any suggestions?View attachment 68484View attachment 68485View attachment 68486
You’re a luck guy. I’ve had a terrible time getting ANY salamanders to clean up leaves and debris under my rhododendrons!😁
Found this little guy cleaning up leaves and debris under a rhododendron just now. I’m in the stilly valley at about 650’ elevation, lots of trees and natural landscape. Never seen one of these and I can’t quite find a photo online of one that seems to match. Including tail, probably 3-3.5” long. Pretty translucent and seems to have no markings. Any suggestions?View attachment 68484View attachment 68485View attachment 68486

Most likely a Northwestern Salamander

I pulled out my old copy of Amphibians and Reptiles of Western North America, Robert Stebbins (1954) and your description and pics fit the key pretty wel