Sage Sonic Spey rods

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Anyone got or casted one? LIke it, hate it, somewhere in between? I got to cast a 7136 with a 525gr skagit and 12.5 ft of t-8 yesterday. Nice rod IMO. Would like to test it with a scandi or short/mid belly. In general ithe action seemed more tip-active than my X 7130, and a bit slower... but hard to say, I've never cast a skagit on my spey rod. Great fit and finish, super sexy feel overall during a wiggle-test and casting. The 8136 version of the sonic might be my next spey rod.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was looking at one, but I ended up going with the echo full spey, mostly because of price. I've heard from more than one source that the Sonic is just a re-labeled One.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've heard from more than one source that the Sonic is just a re-labeled One.
Not completely true. The sonic is made from the same graphite material as the One, but the taper is different. How do you like your Echo Full Spey?

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I got the 13' 8wt. I like it, but I don't have other long rods to compare it to.

There's some discussion on speypages about it, I'd take a look at that.

SometimesIUseBait

Just Hatched
I have the 7136 and have about 10 days on it. Paired with a 510 rage and 10ft 96gr tip it is my most enjoyable casting setup when my timing is working out. I also used the 525 skagit on a few runs and it is great. I am coming from a z axis 8134 and before that an orvis clearwater 7130. It seems like a great rod for me so far. I should experiment with some longer tips on the skagit head. All I have are 10 footers.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have the 7136 and have about 10 days on it. Paired with a 510 rage and 10ft 96gr tip it is my most enjoyable casting setup when my timing is working out. I also used the 525 skagit on a few runs and it is great. I am coming from a z axis 8134 and before that an orvis clearwater 7130. It seems like a great rod for me so far. I should experiment with some longer tips on the skagit head. All I have are 10 footers.
Nice, like I said I thought the overall feel of the sonic was really great; super sexy and smooth. My 8116 one has that same silky feel. It must be that graphite composite that both rods share.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I wouldnt pay full retail for the Sonic. If you can find a good sale then I say shoot for it. I think its aesthetically the most beautiful rod of the entire lineup. I honestly have never casted a rod I did not like. They all throw the line out there, and feel great. Us boys and our toys ill tell ya.