Rain Jacket

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My Marmot Gortex is almost ten years old. I don’t have a back up or maybe I should make my Marmot my backup. Basically in search of a new rain jacket for movement, hiking, beach combing, and fishing . Want a lightweight jacket but good quality. Looking at Patagonia, Columbia rain jackets but what else is out there? I once had a great HH rain jacket but not sure they are the same quality they were of 25 years ago. I paid 200.00 at REI for my marmot that was on close out at 50% off. I got lucky finding an XL. Usually sales like that are small and XXL and larger. Thanks in advance.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Something like the Patagonia Torrentshell or the Simms Flyweight or Waypoints might work well for what you want if you are looking for something on the lighter side of jackets.
Might be worth consulting @Nick Clayton as well. He knows about these things. 😂
SF

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I have the Simms G4 Pro for fishing in an all day rainstorm especially in the fall and winter. I also have a Simms flyweight that I pack with me all other times. Both are very waterproof and very breathable. The G4 is very expensive, but as I've found with my Gore Tex Pro ski stuff it's totally worth it.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I recommend everyone has a soft shell and a hard shell. Personally, I have a Black Diamond Dawn Patrol and an OR Foray. Modern soft shells are so good that I rarely wear the hard shell, but when you need it… you need it.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
The new Patagonia jackets are made without PFAS chemicals, I think. Also all profits go to good causes.

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
Check out the Montbell Versalite. You can buy it directly from the Japanese site for 165$ us (converting the asked Yen). By far my favorite light weight full featured rain jacket. Under 6oz, but still has pit zips, waist ties, hood cinch, etc... They have a 'Western Fit' link. Montbell makes some solid gear.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ordered a Patagonia Torrentshell…. After reading and watching some recent reviews I went with Patagonia. Plus I had some money to use up for Patagonia. Getting to be quite a few options out there.