Pontoon Storage

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
After a life of paddling a canoe and wading, I bought a 9 ft pontoon. I’d like some input on storage. The manufacturer advises to store in a “cool area out of sunlight.” I’d like to store the boat suspended in a carport. Though it’s shaded, it still gets hot in the summer. If I let some air out of the pontoons will this be an OK place to keep it?

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
After a life of paddling a canoe and wading, I bought a 9 ft pontoon. I’d like some input on storage. The manufacturer advises to store in a “cool area out of sunlight.” I’d like to store the boat suspended in a carport. Though it’s shaded, it still gets hot in the summer. If I let some air out of the pontoons will this be an OK place to keep it?
I hang in my garage with reduced air summer and winter

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
That is exactly the way to do it.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The elements shouldn't be an issue but are you able to take precautions for theft?
I keep my jet boat in a carport but it's chained to an anchor poured into the concrete and has a security camera aimed at it that alerts me of any movement.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My new one is now a year old, and when not in use it hangs from the underside handle vertically on a hook on and old portable clothes hanger. Just tall enough and wide enough. I let some air out so it still has shape but won't explode if it expands. It doesn't pull the handle like it looks, it's out of position since I moved it for a snap. It gets hot in summer and cold in winter. So far so good.
20230511_063551.jpg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I'll also add that a friend of mine has left his Bronco outside on the side of his house for over 20 years and still going strong.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm new to this game, so don't trust me lol.
Initially, I kept my raft on an elevated pedestal outside (Cinder blocks and 2x4s). Wrapped with a car cover and a tarp, with dryer sheets and moth balls for rodent control. If you keep outside and in the country (or probably the city), I was scared of mice making it a home.
20230325_122641.jpg

I didn't like the treatment of my new baby, so she now resides in the garage, taking up precious space lol, slightly deflated. All signs point to this is proper.

The wife opens the garage door and leaves it open, I promptly run over and close it. Tell her my baby doesn't like the sun. She points out it's a fuckin raft and you use it outside. She doesn't understand, I forgive her lol.

Treat it with 303 spray for further protection....

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Lots of good ideas in this thread on the same topic…

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all of the good information and responses everybody! I really appreciate it. I just didn’t want to make a stupid mistake right away.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
My South Fork hangs in a garage partially inflated. When I use it it's out in the sun. I just noticed this is it's 20th anniversary.
My Maxxon tubes for my 2-Salt Catchercraft live on a trailer under a tarp. Seems fine to me. No evidence of uv damage to the tubes. When I use it it's out in the sun.