Oregon Snapping Turtle

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

RCF

Life of the Party
Snapping turtles and cotton mouths were the usual concern whilst wet wading in the south. Kept things interesting

Totally agree. Saw way more cotton mouths than I care to remember. Used to play with snapping turtles. Small ones could snap pencils like it was a piece of straw.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Shoot, that one’s just a baby. You should see a full grown one!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That's about average for common snappers we'd catch in Texas. It's the Alligator Snappers that can get up to several hundred lbs.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
That's about average for common snappers we'd catch in Texas. It's the Alligator Snappers that can get up to several hundred lbs.
I saw a couple 50 pound commons in Bama and So-Cack back in the day. Maybe everything is not bigger in Texas? :)
I remember a huge alligator snapper crawling out of the neighborhood pond once. My teenage brother stood on its back. The turtle stood and began walking, with him on its back…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Or maybe we should mess with Texas...😆

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
No need to mess with Texas. They are doing a great job of messing themselves up without external help...
I dunno if they still use it, but their slogan used to be "don't mess with Texas"

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I dunno if they still use it, but their slogan used to be "don't mess with Texas"
Originally started as an anti-litter campaign.
Not that I disagree with the smart-ass sentiment of messing with 'em.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Chuck Berry,,"My Ding-A-Ling" 1972. "Once I was swimming cross turtle creek....(Hilarious lyrics follow). That song was a big hit back in the days when I used to swim naked in the reservoir. I remember the fear, but none of us was ever bitten.

Last edited:

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We used to pull em up in crab traps sometimes in tidewater Maryland. We would all shimmy up the dock pilings while the snapper would slow roll us down the dock. One of the fastest animals around for a 8” radius! I remember on breaking a broomstick with one snap.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just another weekend for me

You might be a redneck if you use a turtle for a can opener. Not sure what the strike radius is for a snapper that size, but he was waving the head around mighty close to the danger zone.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Folks always underestimate how far those heads can launch. And fast.
I spent my childhood in Texas, I've seen it.
My dad caught one and took it to church with us in the truck (my parents aren't the responsible type). Saw that head launch at a kid fast. Learn to respect those bastards that day lol

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I saw a big one driving on a dirt road down in Delecroix LA…I pulled over to let it cross the road; two guys in a pickup came and asked if I was going to take the turtle…I said no, so they picked it up and threw it in the back of the truck. It was easily over 100 lbs…I do like turtle soup with a dark roux…

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Chuck Berry,,"My Ding-A-Ling" 1972. "Once I was swimming cross turtle creek....(Hilarious lyrics follow). That song was a big hit back in the days when I used to swim naked in the reservoir. I remember the fear, but none of us was ever bitten.
Maybe the size of worm does matter… 😳😂