Old Guy question

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I don't fish them often anymore.

For trout that aren't picky, I RW floats better and is highly visible. Love them in small streams, turbulent waters, pocket water, etc. Some good effect on alpine lakes as well.

Where RCs come in for me are those moments where I don't care if it floats or sinks. Fish dead drift, fish skate or wake it, or fish it like a soft soft hackle, or strip it like a bait fish. Kind of a do it all pattern. Cast out...oh, it sunk, let's roll with that and see what happens.... Where a RR that isn't floating- time to dry it or tie on another.
Drowned Stimulators = money

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Drowned Stimulators = money
I used to feel sorta cheated when I’d catch a nice fish on a sunken stimmy, since I find dry fly fishing to be so fun; that is, until I started anticipating drawing strikes on the sunken stimulator, especially with quick two foot strips. That’s just as fun, maybe more so—still visual and usually a vicious grab.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
One of my core flyfishing memories is catching a 14” cutthroat (not a cutt-bow) on the middle fork Snoqualmie in about 1994 on a #14 Royal Wulff.

I was 24 years old and early in my FF journey. It was near dusk wearing some sweet skin tight neoprene waders. Swinging the fly across a glassy runout at the end of a pool, trying really hard to keep it drag free. I watched the entire take like I had seen on Tv or in videos.

I was using a 4wt IMX and that wild cutt put up the greatest fight I had yet experienced on a fly rod, even getting into the backing a bit. My buddy got a photo that I have somewhere in a box, I should try to find it and scan it to digital.

I toss a Royal Wulff parachute on blue lines on occasion, usually to good effect. I find the parachute a lot easier to tie than the split wing, and I’m lazy. I mean efficient.
A few years ago I started tying Royal Wulffs with a white poly wing instead of calf body hair. So much quicker and easier.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Ok, Alcan I make an embarrassing confession?? 😳

This whole time I've been mixing up the coachman with the trude. Ugh. Just proves I don't use either that much anymore. Actually, I never really used the coachman, preferring the calf tail to the feathered wings.