Non-Fly Okuma Epixor Rod?

Divad

Whitefish
Anybody messed around with these one piece inshore/freshwater rods? I was able to use a discount to nab a 7’6” medium for $50 and went for it. Week out from delivery hoping my weak spot for one piece doesn’t let me down as not many reviews on them.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Never heard of that one. Let us know how it does!

What's your intended target for them?

Divad

Whitefish
I really want a quiver killer rod, something I can beach fish with while also small river float/spoon/jigging. It’ll be here Thur/Fri next week and will give it a review.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I wish they made more rods, gear and fly in one piece models.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
The Epixor finally came, took two weeks to ship a one piece 7.5ft rod. Box looks beaten to hell but the rod itself seems fine.

First impressions is it’s nice and light in hand, relatively stiff for a medium and sensitive. Rated at 3/8-3/4 though I think it could easily handle 1-1.25 or more.

Will give it a go later this week on the salt or river and report back. Goal is a quiver killer rod: buzz 💣, spinners, jigs, and float fishing.

Divad

Whitefish
Having landed a dozen plus coho, few kings and chum on this rod, I’m happy to report it is a solid value. It’s a fairly stiff medium that swings light and can easily cast well outside the weight range of 3/4oz. Used it for spinners, spoons, jigs and a little float fishing (the latter where the 7.5ft was hindered).

I’m predominantly a spooner in fall when I go gear and the rod can huck metal, it loved the 2/3 ouncers that I mainly use. Nice easy rod to jig too. One piece build added sensitivity that’s harder to find in short stout medium rods. While the length really helped in overgrowth areas off the beaten paths. Used it a little for beach fishing and it did pretty well even at the short length. Can say it is a good quiver killer for my preferences.

7lb coho at the gulag for bend profile:
7830B3CC-A9E3-4048-8F1E-0B40E3738334.jpeg

Last edited: