NW Ontario Fly In

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Getting prepped for my annual family fly-in; a week at a remote outpost about 180 miles NNE of International Falls, MN, to fish for walleye and northern pike!
Three sisters, 2 brothers, 1 BIL, and my husband joining me this year. We mostly jig for walleye, but I'm bringing a couple fly rods, of course! Leaving a week from tomorrow.

Lk St. Joseph (no secret, since it's pretty tough to get to and is highly regulated) is known for big pike, so I'm bringing a box full of ridiculously large flies, many of which were tied by some well known forum members.😁 I'll do my best to put them into some toothy faces for pics, and will put together a trip report after - mid Augustish.
20230725_173448.jpg
20230416_133417.jpg
This kind of view and the sound of loons makes my soul sing 😊
20220804_202044.jpg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Sounds like an awesome North Woods adventure. Have fun!

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Love the sound of Loons. Have a great trip!!

cheers

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Super. I love that dock!
Yeah - this is an absolutely top notch outfitter, especially for the price. Beautiful docks with slips, a few slips on each dock with rails for folks who need a handhold to disembark. Raised, lighted walkways between cabin, bunkhouse, outhouses, and dock. Solar power, nice boats with motors. A direct text link to the HQ in case of emergency or you just want them to bring you beer when they do the midweek drop-by check in.
The particular outpost we're trying this year is 20 miles from the next nearest cabin.
We've been doing this for 30ish years, the last 3 times with these guys (Slate Falls Outposts) and they've been fabulous!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
The last time I was in Ontario was over 50 years ago when I was a lad with my dad…fishing for brook trout

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
How are the bugs out there?
Black flies/"boat flies" can be a pain sometimes, but mozzies aren't too bad during the day. Oddly enough, Coppertone Sport discourages most of the flies (?!)
I wouldn't want to try night fishing, though! 🧛‍♂️