NFR No thank you

Non-fishing related

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Whatever failed........whoever was at fault...........the implosion occurred so quickly, so violently that they didn't even know what happened; no pain, no thoughts, just instantaneous death:
<>

I read about the same thing a few days ago. James Cameron in a recent interview said most likely, given the properties of carbon fiber, they would have heard the material begin to fail, quite loudly, for some amount of time before it gave way/imploded. And probably before the "safety system" told them as much. Obviously, in some form, they knew there was a serious problem given the attempt to abort and go up.

I know the window also came out in some fashion. If it wasn't removed in the recovery, I'd still assume the carbon gave first (understood the window wasn't rated for that depth) and the implosion would have blown the window out. Whatever happened, I can't imagine even a few seconds knowing you're about to die this way.

I'm mostly interested in the claim that some version of human remains was supposedly recovered with the wreckage and went in for observation. When I heard that, the same thing Ron posted came to mind so now I'm really curious.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Whatever failed........whoever was at fault...........the implosion occurred so quickly, so violently that they didn't even know what happened; no pain, no thoughts, just instantaneous death:
<>

I hadn't thought about the compressive heating. At that depth, hull failure would make the compression stroke inside a diesel engine look cool by comparison. Zero suffering is the only "upside".

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a friend who was in the marine insulation business. He worked on container, tugboat, ferries, fishing vessels, etc. I was talking to him the other day and he was reminded how he had gone up to Everett to talk to this Stockton Rush. Stockton was asking him on advice for insulation materials and performance at 10,000+ feet deep. My friend said he couldn’t help him. He had no experience or where to even begin for deep diving vessel materials. It didn’t quite occur to my friend at the time but he now wonders if he might have been one in a long line of people Stockton contacted in hopes of someone telling him ….’Yes, this is what you want and it will perform outstanding’

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Stuck in a pill box, sitting on the couch, maybe at a concert or your own party.
Whatever the circumstances,
we all die alone.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Of all the ways to die in WWII being trapped in a submarine was always the most horrifying to me. Being underwater in a steel coffin with depth charges going off around you and never knowing when the next one would be too close would have been a nightmare. As someone that has mild claustrophobia I would have to be handcuffed and dragged to ever get me inside one of the damned things.

The U-Boat war in the Atlantic was horrific with over 3,000 allied vessels being sunk by the Germans, another grim way to die in icy Atlantic waters with virtually no hope of rescue. But as easy as the war was for the U-Boats early in the war it became a death sentence for submarines as the war progressed. By mid 1943 it was no longer easy and losses by the Germans had become unsustainable. By 1944 the sea lanes had been cleared so that the immense supply of war material needed for D-Day could be safely shipped. A sub was being sunk at the rate of one every day and a half. With the start of 1945 that rate climbed to over one a day, a submarine ride was simply suicide. In all Germany produced over 1,100 subs for the war and lost 765 of them, a grisly loss of human life. American losses in subs were high also with submariners having the highest percent of casualties of all the services. Not a fun occupation.

It was one thing to find yourself in a war being depth charged, strafed by fighters and pounded by bombers but quite another to put up a quarter of a million dollars and risk your life to see a sunken ship. The old saying-"Shit for brains!" comes to mind.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The compressive forces at work at 10K ft are simply immense. Imagine a 440 lb gorilla sitting on your chest and trying to breathe.
I'm sure there are other past submariners here, the Navy having been a good way to get an education and skill that's still useful today.
And I can say that in 12 years of going to sea and diving in excess of 400 ft, there's no way you'd get me in a composite hull.
And Ive is right, some of the most compelling tales of underwater daring are those of the WWII sailors....from both sides.
Peter Cremer, U-Boat captain, Red Ramage, Eugene Fluckey....check 'em out.
Men from the days when ships were wood and men were steel!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My hats off. You've got more guts than I did. I heard enough submariner lore to give me 2nd thoughts at the Navy recruiters office. Walked out with Nuke papers ready to sign. Love the ocean, but the Chair Force was more my style.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Well, one of the sons put up an IG post smiling pic at a Blink 182 concert while the search was ongoing. Apparently the teenage son that died with his dad was terrified but went as a fathers day gift.

Kinda makes you wonder about the family life of billionaires. I'm guessing most of them aren't around for their family much. Guess their money will be though.
It's called Affluenza. Was a legal case maybe 20 years ago where the accused had killed someone in a car wreck and blew it off because they were so rich they didn't care or didn't understand what they did was wrong.

A phrase I found recently on Greg Ellifritz's website was " Arrogance of Ignorance "

I think both fit this situation.

Here we go. This will give a bit of insight:

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
OK, so I ran across this tasteless dark humor, but damn, it made me laugh so thought I would share. Then consider the source.

WASHINGTON—Analyzing the mistakes OceanGate made that led to the vessel’s disappearance, critics told reporters Thursday that the submersible should have been tested with poorer passengers first. “The company skipped the very crucial step of sending five lower-class people to the bottom of the ocean to make sure it was safe enough for the wealthy,” said Otto Scofield, a member of the Marine Technology Society, adding that no one with a net worth above $50,000 should have been in the submersible. “OceanGate made the mistake of not using minimum wage workers and unemployed people on government welfare programs to test the seaworthiness of the craft, which was not billionaire-ready. Running more trials with some homeless people would have made all the difference, and the deaths of several wealthy people could have been prevented.” Scofield continued that using children of color from impoverished families would have been ideal as more would have been able to fit inside the submersible.

https://www.theonion.com/critics-say-submersible-should-ve-been-tested-with-poor-1850566314
Even for the onion that's in very bad taste.

I see a lot of passion and finger-pointing here, but perhaps some perspective could be useful. It was just five people who died; a person dies roughly every 2.5 seconds in an automobile, worldwide, so in the time it took to read this five people have died, yet no one is saying we should stop driving cars.

Also could point out fat-cat Richard Branson realized his richman's dream of touching space...

And no one died.

May the fourth be with you!!!😀

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I see a lot of passion and finger-pointing here, but perhaps some perspective could be useful. It was just five people who died; a person dies roughly every 2.5 seconds in an automobile, worldwide, so in the time it took to read this five people have died, yet no one is saying we should stop driving cars.

This continues to be a constant source of amazement to me. I spent many years volunteering my time with a local car club to teach people how to be safer drivers, helping them understand what they and their cars were and were not capable of in both low and high speed scenarios. Without question this knowledge saves lives, yet we have new drivers read a pamphlet, drive around the block a few times, and hand them the keys to a deadly weapon. Where is the outrage when someone dies? It's careless, and how is it different than the sub?

This continues to be a constant source of amazement to me. I spent many years volunteering my time with a local car club to teach people how to be safer drivers, helping them understand what they and their cars were and were not capable of in both low and high speed scenarios. Without question this knowledge saves lives, yet we have new drivers read a pamphlet, drive around the block a few times, and hand them the keys to a deadly weapon. Where is the outrage when someone dies? It's careless, and how is it different than the sub?
...and please pardon my bad math, that statement should read 2.5 deaths/minute, but still.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Regarding compressive forces generating fire, Kentucky Ballistics recently did an episode with The SloMo Guys where they shot 2 blocks of clear ballistics gel with a .577 Tyrannosaur. Basically the gun is an "old school drilling" used to hunt elephant, rhino and cape Buffalo.
The high speed shows several spots of compressive ignition ;