NFR Meta Data (EXIF location data on photos)

Non-fishing related

longputt

Steelhead
I've been reluctant to post pictures due to meta data concerns...how can I be sure the data are gone? I am an iPhone/Mac user.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've been reluctant to post pictures due to meta data concerns...how can I be sure the data are gone? I am an iPhone/Mac user.
We will be adding a feature to wipe that in the near future. It costs money so we need to tie up a few loose ends before it's purchased.

Not sure how to scrub it from an iPhone. @Josh may know. But there are websites that will do this too.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
.how can I be sure the data are gone? I am an iPhone/Mac user.
In addition to what Evan mentions above about looking into forum software, there are some good suggestions here for mac/iphone users:

The short answer is that you can remove it using thephotos app on your mac but on the iphone, you need an 3rd part program.

If you have no use for it, you can turn off location data for all future photos by going to Settings>Location Data>Camera.

Zak

Legend
We will be adding a feature to wipe that in the near future. It costs money so we need to tie up a few loose ends before it's purchased.

Not sure how to scrub it from an iPhone. @Josh may know. But there are websites that will do this too.
So glad to hear this! I want location data on my photos for personal/work reasons, but don't want location data on photos I post here. Will your feature wipe location data automatically when we upload photos? Thanks!

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I'm eternally grateful for the location data I get off peoples cell phones, especially if it's some secret fishing hole...;)

Not really. Thanks Josh for the apple link. I don't fish any supper secret spots, so,... But, I don't post many fish photos anyway.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
In the past I've used an app for that purpose. Haven't looked recently but I'm sure there are plenty available. The one I had was super easy to use. Just run any pic that I planned to post through the app, took seconds.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I can show you how to do it but I need to see all your pictures first and then I can do it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I use the ViewExif app. Works very well for both my pictures…..and others. ;)
SF

Vandelay Industries

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On my Android phone, I used an app called Photo EXIF Editor to view and edit photo metadata. My phone settings are also set to not record geolocation by default. The app does allow you to add coordinates if you so choose.

Also, Google Photos somehow stores geolocation data for photos taken via the camera, even though geolocation recording is turned off. It is never added to the photo file but is present in the photo record within whatever database Google Photos is using to store the photo. Something to remember.

Reactions: Zak