Non-Fly Line Counter Reel Recommendations???

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I want to get my son a line counter reel for Christmas but not sure about size. He lives in Lewiston so it would be used around the Snake/ Clearwater confluence for Salmon and Steelhead. Also, any suggestions for reels under 100$ would help.
Thanks in advance.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Under 100 is kinda tough. Those reels exist, but you'll likely run in to issues with the line counter mechanism or some other thing like that in my experience.

That said, I've had an Okuma Convector that I've had for over 10yrs and seems to be holding up just fine. The Okuma Coldwater seems to be the more popular one as it's more expensive and sold as the nicer reel, but all those I tried failed on me pretty quickly. Caveat: I don't know if anything has changed in the design/manufacturing since I got mine.

My go-tos are my Tekotas, but those are substantially more money. The Convector would be what I'd recommend here.

The 345 is a good size. Just a matter of knowing if he prefers right or left handle.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just a matter of knowing if he prefers right or left handle.
Great question! For me, being quite ambidexterous, it doesn't really matter.
I do know that he casts right and reels left with a fly rod but I looked at a couple of my Penn star drag reels which he used while growing up and they are right hand retrieve. So...:unsure:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Great question! For me, being quite ambidexterous, it doesn't really matter.
I do know that he casts right and reels left with a fly rod but I looked at a couple of my Penn star drag reels which he used while growing up and they are right hand retrieve. So...:unsure:
So me personally: If it's a reel I'm casting, I prefer left hand retrieve. If it's a trolling rod, especially those with a power handle, I go right hand.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I went with this one with right hand retrieve...the salesperson said he could exchange it unused if he prefers left hand.

1702941708880.png
I hope it's not too big as it holds 420 yards of 20# mono.
Thanks Evan and Russell for your input.

headduck

Steelhead
I've trolled with those reels for almost 10 yrs.

Parts are cheap and available.

They're pretty easy to work on. I had spool release springs go from salt dunking and poor cleaning... fixed em right up and they're still bringing me fish.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've trolled with those reels for almost 10 yrs.

Parts are cheap and available.

They're pretty easy to work on. I had spool release springs go from salt dunking and poor cleaning... fixed em right up and they're still bringing me fish.
Thanks for the feedback...much appreciated!