Keeping a yearly fishing journal...

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I was trying to keep a journal years ago but then realized that I fish when I can. So for me, I know enough to go to an appropriate reach of the river when the fish are there, but the rest is dictated by my free time and I will go even if odds of not that great. I guess I may miss some pattern there this way, but for me it works. I’ll fish for anything anywhere is my creed.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I use an Android app called Fish Memo. Unfortunately it hasn't had any updates in a long time which probably means the developer has given up on it, but it works. I loaded another similar app but there's no way to port the existing data and I have a lot of data in it; place, date, time, GPS coordinates, CFS, high-low tide levels, weather, moon phase water temp, route of travel, GPS and map coordinates of fish hooked-landed, rod-reel-line-fly, species, length, number of fish.

The reports section is OK for showing trends of month, place, moon phase, fish caught, rod-reel-line-fly... The info I find most useful is CFS - tides by place, by date, with number of fish hooked-landed. From there I review rod-reel-line-flies used.

I'll eventually finish manually configuring the new app and entering the persistent data; places, rods-reels-lines-flies, and make a table of CFS - tides by place for temporary reference.

Divad

Whitefish
8D46D5DE-A224-46C4-A600-06825B0952CE.jpeg
I keep memorable catches in albums on my phone. Then add notes to the photo for whatever I want to remember that day, sorting is easy and the visual sparks my memory.

Apps or Pocket Journal? Awesome, but I know I won’t continuously follow through.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Naw...I just go fishin'.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Like others have mentioned I use pics on the smart phone to jog the memory of what worked or didn't, conditions, locations etc.

The exception to that for a fishery that is new to me is beach fishing the salt, for that I've been jotting down notes in the 2023 Tide log book, that's been pretty easy so far but results remain to be determined!

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
You are not an average fisherman. Nor are you an average writer. Quality fisherman writing a quality glimpse into our sport and willing to share your thoughts and experiences is truly unique. Something I truly am appreciative of. Thank you...
I wish my friends were as nice as you :D

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
What would I rather do ---> spend time fishing or spend time writing about fishing? Easy answer!
You do you, but why not both? It only takes a minute to note where, when, who, weather, river levels, and that I didn’t catch anything.