Non-Fly Jig Twitching - What you all doin!?

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Will try that trick with the plastic worm. I have a couple spots where I do pretty well twitching for pinks with 1/4oz marabou jigs and no snags, but I know coho go past as well and folks hook them on dick nites. The waters usually dirty but I guess the depth couldn’t be more than 6-8 feet at the deepest points.

Should 1/4oz jigs be heavy enough for coho as well at that same spot ? Or should I be upping the weights.
1/4 oz is probably plenty, adjust your depth by casting more or less upstream and adjusting your twitch.

I use a 1/32d oz jig on a single hand rod, can find the bottom with that almost everywhere. It still gives the sharp vertical drop which is the key in my experience.

This guy agreed

Screenshot_20231128-093202_Video Player.jpg

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Should I be tying some lighter ones up?
I don't have a lot of experience at this, but I knew a fellow who was a fishing guide and very expert at catching coho (and steelhead) on jigs. As best I recall he tied only 1/16 and 1/8 oz. jigs. Mostly marabou. I watched him at Baker Rock on the Cowlitz one fall day hooking coho after coho until he finally got tired of hooking and playing fish. Heavier coho jigs are popular, but I'm not convinced they are necessary.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't have a lot of experience at this, but I knew a fellow who was a fishing guide and very expert at catching coho (and steelhead) on jigs. As best I recall he tied only 1/16 and 1/8 oz. jigs. Mostly marabou. I watched him at Baker Rock on the Cowlitz one fall day hooking coho after coho until he finally got tired of hooking and playing fish. Heavier coho jigs are popular, but I'm not convinced they are necessary.
Good to know, I don’t like casting heavy jigs anyway!

SSPey

loco alto!
True, it’s been a couple of posts since someone mentioned their favorite spinning rod or 1/2 oz jig, but don’t tune out just yet. Remember, it was fly guys who brought you beads and spawned an entire sub-industry of dirt-baggery. They might know a thing or two.

Jagosh

Smolt
I appreciate the banter we have here and the good natured barbs. We can’t do that over there, the world would melt!

With love,

Your favorite angler