NFR Hoar frost and frost flowers

Non-fishing related

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
After being fogged out at Nisqually Wildlife Refuge Saturday morning, my wife and I switched plans and headed to McLane Creek Wildlife area. We were expecting to see the spawning antics of chum salmon in the creek and were not disappointed.
D01ChumSalmonAggregation6362.jpg
The surface of the pond was frozen. No wood ducks or mallards today.
A01IcyPondB190011.jpg
and all surfaces: trails, boardwalk, plants were covered with a light glaze of ice. The temperature the night had dropped dramatically (min temp was 18oC at the Oly airport). We were able to observe two interesting icy phenomena: hoar frost and ice flowers. Hoar frost requires clear, cold, calm nights. As the air temperature drops, the air temperature cools below the dew point. As a result, water molecules in the air (water vapor) are deposited (sublimated) as ice crystals directly on a surface. Unlike rime ice, there is no liquid phase (aka, fog) in the formation of hoar frost.
B01FrostedCattail6155.jpg
B02IceCrystalsOnBladesB190026.jpg
B03IceCrystalsOnBladesB190019.jpg
As we hiked, my wife said to keep an eye out for “frost flowers”. These are not true flowers of course. In fact, they are ice crystals that are forced out from the water inside some plants or from the spaces inside wet dead branches by below-freezing temperatures. And in fact, we were fortunate to find a great example of this phenomenon on a small branch that had fallen by the path. The wood of the branch was surrounded by delicate ice threads.
B04FrostFlowers6245.jpg
B05FrostFlowerB190045.jpg
By the time that we returned to our vehicle, the air temperatures were above freezing and these icy beauties had melted. Sic transit gloria mundi...
Steve

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Neat shots, glad I'm not the only one fascinated by winters workings. I love the winter time and the ice and shot some similar images.
20221119_20degB.jpg
Our ponds are frozen too, but it was really cool to hear the cracks thundering and moaning up and down the valley.
20221119_slake.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My thanks to both of you for the pics.

The hoar frost I saw at Drift River, southwest of Anchorage, was incredible . Working in steel cassions below the surface with ice scraping by was not incredible.

Keep the pictures coming!

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thirty years ago in march i was in Vladivostok (then) USSR for a museum working trip. I took a lot of pictures of hoary frost. I experienced -40 in Vladivostok and the jagged winter of ice and snow. I will look through my photos and share some. I have my old Imac 12’ away in another room but have yet to understand how to access them from this iphone.