Handgun Snake Shot

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t take my dog to rattler country. Even on a leash I feel a bit uneasy about it. Now if he had been trained to avoid or warn about snakes in a good way I might think about it… but he be on a 6’ leash and I be choking up on it quite a bit. They are not cat fast. Plus they want to smell everything first. 😬

That’s my dog. I know others have more trained, trusting, and responsible dogs in that arena. But for most I believe….don’t let your dog run loose in certain known snakey areas.

DKL

Steelhead
To be honest, I think I’ll probably not worry about it. I have had only a couple of run ins over the years, they have not been a problem for me. I was intrigued by it last year when a fella I was fishing with had it told me about it and showed me his. To be honest, I’m more concerned for my dog accidentally running into one, but I don’t think something like this would do any good in a situation like that any way.

Porter, your post went up just as I finished typing mine up. My dog hunts and fishes with me, so he’s got the potential to stumble on one. The fella that trained him is in Moses Lake told me he’s only seen it happen twice in all his years. And it wasn’t because the dog was going Lassie on it, rather they just stumbled across one. And he’s in snake country. Still makes me nervous and that was why I was curious.

Thanks for the replies.

Shad

Life of the Party
I think having dogs along is the only reason you might want to carry for snakes. Dogs aren't always very "discerning" in how they treat things, and they tend to get snakebit, porcupine quilled, whatever more often than most things, so sometimes, maybe they need a little extra protection.

Otherwise, enjoy the quick wake-up call from the occasional close snake encounter and add another story to the book of outdoor adventures.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
pretty easy to snake train most dogs. Find a cranky gopher snake and start there. A number of years ago, I kept probably a dozen snakes as pets. One, a rather "spirited" tempered gopher snake was actually one of my favorites. Anyway, I had the snake out & my dog (then a 3 year old) come sniffing around the gopher snake who promptly tagged him right on the tip of the nose. He was never curious about any snake ever after that & went out of his way to avoid being anywhere close to any snake spotted....pet or wild. It was always the damn ticks that I hated (and still do)....sample size of one, I know....but more has been said with less evidence (hell, take a look at half the threads on any internet forum).

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I have eaten rattlesnake, actually doesn't taste terrible....with lots of seasoning...and chewing (I think I'd sous vide it next time if I were so inclined to go that route). Never really understood a reason to kill them otherwise. Between them and gopher snakes, they're just about the most efficient rodent control (outside of maybe weasels) that exists.

I'm looking for the best kind of scorpion shot and what gauge folks like the best....and would that be good for the ticks too?
Widow shot too.

CRO

Steelhead
I was told that the effective range of snake shot rounds was within striking range of rattlers, let em live.

Replicant

Steelhead
The last rattlesnake I encountered, was a few years ago, while I was switching my field irrigation. I felt something bat my leg as I was cranking down on the valve. I looked down and saw that I had inadvertently stepped on a young rattler. I was wearing heavy BOG boots, which kept me from getting bit. As things get warmer, I do carry a 9mm with one round of shot in the chamber. I have a let it be kind of mentality, but my dogs don't. I've yet to have a reason to shoot one, and I'm fine with that.