Non-Fly Freshwater Coho Salmon Lures for Beginners

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m giving my friend a late Christmas gift a fishing rod, an 8’6 Celilo. I’m getting her started off with a small tackle box, 2 dick nites, 2 1/4oz jig heads with some pink mini squids, two 1/2oz hoochie jigs, and two rotators. The idea being that she should be able to hit any beach or river during a coho or pink run and have an honest shot at catching fish. That said I don’t want to overwhelm her with choices and give her every single piece of gear that exists when it takes time to learn how to use each. I am also very very bad at freshwater salmon fishing, and have so far only caught a sockeye plunking, chums, and pinks. That said, she doesn’t usually have access to a boat and I am aware that freshwater is a good chunk of shorebound opportunity.

For those of you who have more experience chasing coho in the fresh, what else should I throw in the box? I was thinking about blue foxes but I constantly hear people complain about how hard it is to learn how to catch fish with them. It’s personally my favorite method after float fishing as I like how it is a more active style of fishing, and how swinging spinners kind of resembles swinging flies. I’m giving her some slinky weights, perhaps some beads to drift fish with? I am thinking float fishing would be overwhelming for a beginner

G_Smolt

Legend
Echoing other responses. On the rare occasions I chase freshwater hos without a flyrod, it's jigs, spinners, and spoons...in that order. The only exception is estuary drifting on an outgoing tide, then its a 14mm glo bead, a 14mm red bead, then spinners, spoons, jigs.