Free rod parts

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’m not a rod builder, so I have no clue if anyone would want these. This is the remains of my Loomis Expeditor repair.
I had to cut the model number off the butt section as part of the return process.
Not sure if the reel seat or guides can be repurposed. The broken pieces might be of use for someone new to rod building who wants to practice wrapping guides.
Figured I’d put this out there if anyone wants them before they were to go in the round file.
Pick up in north Seattle.
SF

IMG_5130.jpeg

flybill

Life of the Party
I'm interested. Could pick up sometime next week, or maybe tomorrow since I'm thinking of heading up to Avid Angler tomorrow..

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I'm interested. Could pick up sometime next week, or maybe tomorrow since I'm thinking of heading up to Avid Angler tomorrow..

Bill,
They are yours if you’d like them. Send me a pm and I’ll let you know where you can pick them up. By the way, this was a IMX Pro 9’ 6 wt.
If tomorrow doesn’t work, no worries.
I’ll keep them for you so you can pick them up at your convenience.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Cool I’m glad to see someone is getting these to use on a build. Nice looking seat and handle.

Just out of curiosity, what is the best way to salvage a reel seat and handle like this? Would you use the boiling water pot method to steam the whole thing until the epoxy loosens, and the pull the cork and butt off? Then push the remnant blank back down and out of the reel seat?

Andy

flybill

Life of the Party
Cool I’m glad to see someone is getting these to use on a build. Nice looking seat and handle.

Just out of curiosity, what is the best way to salvage a reel seat and handle like this? Would you use the boiling water pot method to steam the whole thing until the epoxy loosens, and the pull the cork and butt off? Then push the remnant blank back down and out of the reel seat?

Andy
I've
Used the boiling water method, for reel seats before. If I can salvage the handle I will since I'm building a rod for a friend and going to teach her to fly fish in CO or Alaska next year.

Chucker

Steelhead
When I have done it, I cut just above the reel seat and drilled out the blank inside it to the appropriate size for the new blank. Reamed out the blank from inside the handle with a tapered reamer. If I was going to try the heat method I would do it by filling the blank with boiling water rather than steaming. I doubt that you could get enough heat through the cork to get it off without wrecking it.

Divad

Whitefish
I’ve tried boiling off multiple reel seats and never got it to work. Cut and drill out seems like the best bet, or cut and overlap onto new blank leaving the old piece intact.

The grip is tough to get off without weakening the cork rings.

But the guides are all good to salvage! Plus you can use the blank as wrapping or fountain pen practice.

Divad

Whitefish
I need to find a broken blank or old rod to build a cork reaming tool like you built.
That too! Shoot a wanted ad up for any old medium-heavy/heavy gear rods in the Portland area. Or call some oldschool tackle shops, sometimes they have piles of junked rods.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Rod parts are gone.
Thanks for coming by Bill and hopefully you can put them to use on the new rod for your friend.
SF