Drift boat rowers seat modification question/ideas

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've been searching for a drift boat on and off for a few years and I think this Spring (hopefully) I am going to pull the trigger. Since its my first drifter I was trying to say in the more budget friendly range (sub $3k) and looking at older Lavros and Clackacrafts. However, the problem I've been running into is that they seem to all have a fixed rowing bench with rope. My girlfriend wants to be able to row as well (lucky I know), so I've been looking for ideas on making the fixed bench more adjustable. I've searched on here and a few other forums, but thought I would ask as well:
  • What mods have people made to make their fixed benches more adjustable?
  • Should I focus on making the oar locks or feet rests more adjustable instead?
  • Does anyone know off hand what years either Lavro or Clackacraft added the ability to have adjustable rowing benches?

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a 1985 Clack and my bench seats are adjustable. It came with rope seats that have served me well. I just had the gel coat redone and had them upgrade the front seats to their swivel seats. Ended up keeping and restrung the rowing rope seat. Wanted the leverage to crank on the oars while rowing rapids on the Deschutes. For years, with the front rope seat, the passengers sat on a folded beach towel. Enjoy the ride! Mine is ready to go except for repainting the trailer and replacing the back roller with a lighter pipe and bushings from the Clackacraft site. My nephew is a welder and will build the supports. The photo is before I replaced the rope rowing seat.
2E0ED45F-669C-4AE2-B6B2-20BC785A6AF1.jpeg