Choosing a fly line for your rod

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
(I posted this in Mumbles' "new to fly fishing" thread, but thought it could be its own discussion too.

A question I get asked a lot: "I have this particular rod. What's the best fly line for it?"

I always struggle with the response, because this is a flawed question. As a flawed person, often my response isn't ideal. But you're ok to ask it, because you likely don't know enough at this point to know the right question to ask.

The rod honestly matters very little in this question. The rod size matters, but what rod brand and model is borderline irrelevant.

Often I will come back with this question: "Do you want the best CASTING line for the rod? or the best FISHING line?" Personally, I'm laser focused on the latter.

My advice to folks choosing a fly line: Pick a line that is the right line for the type of fishing you are doing, then get the appropriate size for the rod you have.

(this is all in regards to standard single-hand rods)

All purpose line - Great for beginners who won't benefit from a specialized line quite yet. Can typically turn over most average size flies just fine with average rear taper for line control and average casting ranges.

Nymphing/Streamer lines - These are often the same line in a different box. Though some streamer models will have a shorter rear taper. Both often feature aggressive front tapers to help turn over heavy payloads. The long rear taper helps with line control on long drifts.

Dry Fly/Light Presentation - These will have a long front taper to a light tip section for gently rolling out and landing your dry fly with minimal crash that can spook fish. They can't turn over much weight, but they're excellent at their one job.

If you're a beginner in the PNW, these three types should get you by until you get some experience and know enough to know what specialty line you need to step up your game. There's a lot more styles, but even the more specialized ones will often fall within these categories. As with most things, your local fly shop will be an invaluable resource to get you dialed.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I buy a rod, I always get what is called out on the rod. I haven't gone wrong yet. That's how I fish. I have two 5wts, But only one reel with 5wt line on it. So I did what I said I would never do. Fish with a 6wt line on a 5wt rod. I have a 5wt TFO Pro 4 piece rod. With that 6wt line on it, it is a cannon. I've always been that the people that make these rods know what they are talking about when they put the line size on each rod.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
In my experience, if you’ve got a good relationship with your local shop they will often have lines you can borrow and test on the water. Casting on grass or in a parking lot is not really fishing conditions and you may find the line (or rod) that casts well in a parking lot is not the right one to fish with.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
A question I get asked a lot: "I have this particular rod. What's the best fly line for it?"
An addition to this that might be really useful to new fly fishers could be to approach it from the "what do you want to fish for?" angle. New users may not understand what flies they would use for a given fish.

Kyle Smith

Steelhead
I'd like to add - having both a steamer/nymph floater and an all purpose floater for the same rod is a LOT cheaper than having two setups and basically accomplishes the same thing. Besides fighting bigger fish, obviously.

Kyle Smith

Steelhead
What about indicator fishing? Is it worthwhile to get one of the lines specifically designed for indicator fishing or are they more than is really necessary?
Not something you need, and not all that great for dry flies unless you're fishing hoppers. If you end up with a bunch of gear, a nymph line is a great addition. I have a 6wt that pretty much only gets used for nymphs and streamers - it has Airflo Nymph/Indicator on it.

Regular lines on the 4wt and 5wt, even though they throw bobbers on occasion.

Those dry fly specific long taper lines are really great when you need that level of delicacy, but if you fish in the wind a lot, they're pretty much worthless. Your shit doesn't turn over hard enough, and you lose accuracy in the wind.