Built a weird fly rod

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
So zI like creating things that are tiny sometimes. This is 18” length, “reel” is 1” no in diameter with dentil floss for fly line, tippet is 8x flies are #30 and #32 caddis( hell no I didn’t tie them). Made from a telescoping radio antenna. It all started witha few fly reel keychains I found at a junque shop. The interesting part- the “rod” guides were made from the smallest hooks and eyes icould find. They were attached by drilling holes in the antenna accurately scaled and epoxiedIMG_1696.jpeg
The shiny round thing at the bottom is a penny

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Or, go fishing with me. I can find the tiny ones.....

How did you do the grip - wine cork? that's pretty cool.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Beautiful work.

Who tied the flies? Is it possible to get a picture of the flies? I dont go below a #26. Just getting too old.

Happy 4th.

Bob

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Bob this was 6-7 years ago bought from a fly source in Maine after a ambitious internet search. I do not have it - gave it to a long time friend and fly fisherman for his 64th birthday

I have one he gave to me that I did some finishing touches on, although mine is only 12" long.😀
Have plans to get a small section of 0# dry fly line to attach to the floss. At one time I had a friend with a small fish cistern in his front yard, with goldfish, that was planned to break it in but he moved.😢

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Really cool idea !
What I used: fly reel key chain faub, a radio antenna. Wine cork. Pencil rings that hold the eraser on, 00 eyelets from a fabric store for eyes- cut and modified, epoxy, dental floss, 8x tippet, flies - source in Maine. Tools were made to do this damn thing

Stoneflywelding

Sometimes I go fishing.
Forum Supporter

The pine needle rod in this write up is very cool. And the photo of the dude holding a goldfish with it is hilarious, and also makes me want to make one this weekend.