Billie Franks Jr. Nisqually Wildlife Refuge, 25 February 2022

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Part 1 of 3. On Thursday evening, my wife and I looked at the weather and our joint schedules to see if we could squeeze in a part-day adventure on Friday. Schedules: check. Weather: cold but clear: check. Overnight temperatures dropped to the mid-teens and were still in the twenties, but with calm winds, when we left our house for the Billie Frank Jr. Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. I was a bit concerned as the fog was thick at the intersection of I-5 and Hwy. 101, but it cleared up as we went north and the skies were sunny and blue as we emerged at the crest of the hill that drops into the Nisqually Valley.

After parking and gearing up, we headed to the less-visited east ponds. My wife was hoping to see some brant geese and that spot sometimes holds waterfowl. But the ponds were dry. I like that stretch also for insectivores because the trees that line the service road receive early morning sun. But there was no one home in the tree either this morning.

Emerging by the start of the parking lot by the education center, we could hear birds calling in the alders. These proved to be a few ruby crowned kinglets, black-capped chickadees, and several yellow-rumped warblers. The warblers were really focused on breakfast and were very active (and therefore, very challenging to photograph among the branches).

S01YellowRumpedWarbler9110.jpg
S02YellowRumpedWarbler9114.jpg

We walked back to the Norm Dicks Visitor Center. Much of the pond in front was frozen. A pair of mallards watched nervously as we passed by them via the walkway. From the viewing platform, we could see several groups of mallards in the open water. A subset paddled over toward us to feed on whatever had been caught in the melting ice at the end of the pond.

S03MallardDrake9402.jpg

These were joined by a green-winged teal drake. Later, a group of ring-necked ducks worked their way closer as well. I picked up low-level nasal whistles coming from off to our right. In the binocs, a small flock of wigeons were feeding on new grass shoots at the edge of the pond.

We cut back through the parking lot to the shallow seasonal ponds the fill the meadows. Everything was frosty but there must have been something in the grassy meadows that attracted the attentions of foraging robins. A killdeer flew in to join the robins and another killdeer that was already foraging in the field.

The seasonal ponds/fields were mostly frozen to the south of the gravel road. A mixed flock of Northern shovelers, green-winged teals, Northern pintails, and wigeons were clustered in the two patches of open water or on the adjacent ice edge.

S04ShoverlersGreenWingedTealsResting9196.jpg

A flock of wigeons broke off from the resting birds and waddled carefully over the ice to the near edge of the pond to graze on grasses along the shoreline. One of these birds looked not like the others, a bird with a cinnamon head and a cream-colored crown. It was a male Eurasian wigeon, a rare visitor, most likely from eastern Russia. It was quite cooperative and I have some nice pictures with both the American wigeon drake and Eurasian wigeon drake in view.

S06AmericanWigeonDrake9383.jpg

S07EurasianAmericanWigeonDrakes9240.jpg

S08EurasianAmericanWigeonDrakes9236.jpg

While we were watching the wigeons, several golden-crowned sparrows and song sparrows emerged from the cover of the blackberries to resume their search for breakfast. The golden-crowned sparrows are feeding on fresh grass shoots as you can see by the residue in the corner of its bill.

S08GoldenCrownedSparrow9201.jpg

A spotted towhee joined the group. Further along the trail, a northern flicker was perched deep in the trees and a pair of Bewick’s wrens searched for lunch.

S09 BewicksWren9190.jpg

On our walk back to the Visitor Center, we encountered two brown creepers. They can be ephemeral, there and then gone. But both of these birds were more focused on combing the tree trunks and limbs for insects than our presence.

S10BrownCreeper9504.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
[Part 2 of 3]. Today proved to be a great day to see eagles. The gravel service road that parallels the Twin Barns boardwalk provides a great view of the Twin Barns and the grove of massive trees that shade them.

T000MirrorBall2.jpg

T00TinyPlanet1.jpg

Even from a distance, we could see an adult bald eagle perched at the edge of a tall tree by the easternmost barn. And there was a massive nest of twigs in the same tree.

T01Eagle&Nest9255.jpg

When we walked around the tree, we could see that there were actually a pair of eagles perched in this tree. The public will have a front-row seat if the pair uses this tree for breeding this year.

T02EaglePair9281.jpg

T03BaldEagleAdult9497.jpg

While we walked between the Twin Barns, one of the two eagles flew past us,

T04EagleInFlight9290.jpg

chased by an audacious red-winged blackbird.

T05EagleRedWingedBlackbird9284.jpg

The eagle later landed in a tree across the way. Its arrival displaced a red-shouldered hawk that had been perched in the same tree.

T06EagleRedShoulderedHawk9296.jpg

Later, while we were coming back on the N-S gravel trail, we watched several groups of juvenile eagles flying purposely toward the Twin Barns area. Another birder told us that one of the adult eagles had caught a duck and that attracted several juveniles. I wonder if they were looking for scraps or a steal. He said that there were eight eagles perched in the nest tree at one point. On our walk back to the Visitor Center, we saw adult and juvenile eagles perched in various trees in the vicinity.

Steve

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
[Part 3 of 3] You might think that a great display of eagles would be the highlight of the day, but it wasn’t. As we walked to the meadow/canal overlook at the southwest of the Twin Barns, I spotted an American bittern sitting quietly at the water’s edge of the canal. We had probably encountered the same individual a few weeks earlier near the same area. Per usual, it was very well-camouflaged against the dried grasses and reeds along the shore. This time, the bird was not actively foraging, but hunkered down along the shore. Several of the other birders/photographers were also excited to see this bird.

U01AmericanBittern9316.jpg

U02AmericanBittern&Shadow9332.jpg

During our visit the previous Friday, we had a brief view of several swallows in flight, a harbinger of spring. Today, they were zooming in the open grassy field to the west of the barns and even checking out the bird house mounted on a pole. We had a good enough view of them to identify the birds as tree swallows, a common breeding species at Nisqually.

We headed down the N-S gravel trail at the top of the dike that separates the saltwater marsh from the freshwater marsh. The freshwater side was frozen. There was a cluster of great blue herons deep in the marsh, but the freshwater side was otherwise quiet. We didn’t even hear a call of a marsh wren that we know are there.

U03SaltMarshP2250002.jpg

In the saltwater side, the tide was falling and the level in the marsh was about 80% of high tide. There were large flocks of shorebirds, probably dunlins and/or western sandpipers on the mudflats closer to the Nisqually Reach. When they would burst into flight, I would scan to see if a peregrine was around, but no, they were just nervous.

Green-winged teals were the primary ducks sifting through the diatom mat that grew at the margins of the mudflats.

U04GreenWingedTealPairSifting9452.jpg

There were also flocks of American wigeons and a few singlet Northern pintails.

U05PintailDrake9443.jpg

Several greater yellowlegs stalked the shallows too.

U06GreaterYellowlegs9486.jpg

I had hoped that we might encounter flocks of shorebirds closer to the trail if we headed out on the boardwalk, but they stayed too far away for any good pictures. Many of the same characters that were in the salt marsh were foraging along the margins of McAllister Creek as we walked along the boardwalk trail toward Nisqually Reach. My wife spotted a small cluster of gadwalls as well. In the actual creek channel, buffleheads, common goldeneyes, Barrow’s goldeneyes, and even a small flock of surf scoters dove for a meal.

U07CommonGoldeneyeDrake9476.jpg

Twice, a female goldeneye surfaced with a crab for an early lunch.

U08GoldeneyeHenWithCrab9427.jpg

There are several small mud islands near the mouth of McAllister Creek. They are often used as haul-out spots by the local harbor seals. The usual island was unoccupied today, but at least seven harbor seals were either hauled out or in the process of hauling out on another small island.

U09HarborSealsHaulingOut9406.jpg

Steve

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Nice photo safari, Steve!

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Excellent, Steve. You got a great mix of birds.

Nisqually is where I started birding and we used to go there once a week.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
how about some detail on camera and lenses??
Hi GPT,
The 360 images are taken with a Theta V 360 camera. It has two fish-eye lenses back to back. If a web site has the appropriate software, the images will allow the viewer to move the image for that 360 degree view. There is also software that allow me to create the "tiny planet" or "mirror-ball" effects on these images. I have an underwater housing for this camera and have taken in diving in the topics. I have some ideas for using it while fishing.
My main wildlife camera is a Canon 80D DSLR with a 150-600mm Sigma lens. I shoot in raw and bring the images into Photoshop to crop them and tweak the exposure if necessary.
My go-to camera for close-ups (and fishing pictures) is an Olympus TG-5. It does great closeups. While the camera is waterproof, I also have an underwater housing (and flash and light) for use as a dive camera.
I also carry a GoPro that I should use to take more videos both above and below the water. That is one of my goals for this fishing season.
Steve