Anyone used a float tube with oars (Outcast Fish Cat Cruzer etc)?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Who here has used a float tube with oars like the Outcast Fish Cat Cruzer?

Note that I'm not talking about "frameless" designs like the Outcast Scout. I mean the ones that look like pretty standard float tubes that someone has added oars to. I can't decide if this idea is awesome or more like a Chevy El Camino where it's two things smashed into one and doing neither well.

Do these work? Is rowing any better than just using your fins? Do the oars get in the way of casting/line-management?

EDIT: For the record, I'm talking about lake use for these. I'm not one who is interested in taking a float tube on the river.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I'm sure Islander will weigh in when he sees this, I know he likes his.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I have a supercat, which can be used with oars or only fins. You have to get your feet out of the water when rowing. They produce a lot of drag in the water, but it also helps to have some sort of footbrace to row against. does the scout have a footbrace to get your feet out of the water?

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A couple large objects to get your fly line hung up on. Then again, legs can get pretty shredded out there on the lake after too long.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
See, this is the sort of thing I am worried about.

Just think though, you’d get two workouts in one and get to skip the gym. Arms while rowing and abs while trying to keeping your feet up. 😉
No foot rest would be a no go for me on that type of craft.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
See, this is the sort of thing I am worried about.

I fish a Scout (off brand version) and if you kick while you row you can really get moving. It’s slightly more complicated than walking and chewing gum at the same time but if you’re not a super uncoordinated person, I think you’d find the flippers to be a benefit not a hindrance.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Unless you are going to carry the tube, (hike, bush whack to an unimproved launch) I'd get a small pontoon or scout if you want oars. I left my tube for a small pontoon so l could cover more ground and still be able kick into delicate areas. I have a pram now but wish I had the pontoon also...