SFR Anyone shoot video? I want to learn.

Sorta fishing-related

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Is there anyone on here that would be able to help me develop and better my skills at videography? I don't even know where to start with any of it, but I want to.

I made a living as a photographer, took about 10 years off, and now almost everyone is expecting a person to be able to shoot video. They’re completely different skills and mindsets, and one I haven’t developed—yet.

Please, any advice, tips, or mentoring helps.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been enjoying the videos produced by @SpawnFlyFish with Todd Moen, maybe hes a guy to talk to.
I appreciate the idea. I like Josh’s videos and actually reached out to him a while back and got some good advice.

Just bought a drone as they seem to be de riguer (and real estate photos quickly paid it off) and that's actually been rather helpful in forcing me to learn video production.

Not so helpful has been the load 4k @30fps puts on my computer and iPad (M1 12.9”)--but I can struggle along until video income justifies a new setup.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
@Jake Watrous, did you end up getting into videography? If so, what were some resources that you found useful?

Currently sitting in the hospital, after the arrival of baby #2. I’ve taken great photos, but I’m thinking family videos are something I should probably get into. I tried a few times but the results look so lame. 😂

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Jake Watrous, did you end up getting into videography? If so, what were some resources that you found useful?

Currently sitting in the hospital, after the arrival of baby #2. I’ve taken great photos, but I’m thinking family videos are something I should probably get into. I tried a few times but the results look so lame. 😂
Congratulations on the little one! From what little I know of videography, my recommendation is to shoot a lot of video at the best quality you can and 60fps, and archive the original files. When your skills develop you can revisit and represent those recorded memories, but you’ll have them.

Basic photographic composition works well, but also it’s important to show the small moments and transition moments. Like, not just the road trip but getting ready, leaving the house, loading into the car, and then driving. So you’re not just framing elements in a photo, but also framing events in a day/story.

I haven’t done it outside of extensive practice as my video skills are still unmarketable, but currently my equipment is a drone and a Canon R3 mirrorless camera. It’s such a different way of capturing moments and telling stories I feel like I’m back in junior high again.

Final Cut Pro has been my go-to software for Mac and iPad, and I am taking courses with https://theartofdocumentary.com/

Best resource, though, has been YouTube. Jay Siemens, Peter McKinnon, and Jeven Dovey have been key. Watching a lot of documentaries, videos on the Fly Fishing Channel app on the ApeTV, and a number of the folks also post tutorials and behind-the-scenes explanations.

Last edited: