Airflo Bass Line???

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@Billy has me all fired up with his latest Bassin' post so I started looking at dedicated floating Bass lines.
I saw this Airflo on Sierra's site for just shy of 50$ and am wondering if anyone is or has used it and what your opinion might be?
airflo-super-dri-bass-muskie-floating-freshwater-fly-line-in-blue-orange~p~1txdk_01~460.2.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm watching this thread. Last week, I spooled up an old 8 wt. 40+ I had in a box and on a spool for bassin' and as I was fishing it, I encountered the section of running line where I apparently stepped on it (?) and stripped the coating and even had to do a quick emergency splice of the core. Forgot all about that. Otherwise I really like(d) that line. I had replaced it with a $40 9 weight SA Air Cel line which works fine, and I've been using that for a season or two, but who can ever be satisfied with something working just fine when there could be something that works great, right?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I know that line well. It's excellent. One of the few Airflo floating lines from the previous generations I would highly recommend.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
LOL... when I first read the label on the spool I thought the name of line was "SUPERIOR BASS", with a slight mis-print, and maybe that's why the lines were being cleared out at STP. Then I zoomed in and see that it's actually SUPER DRI.

Superior Bass.jpg

I think Superior Bass would be a cool name for a line though...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I know that line well. It's excellent. One of the few Airflo floating lines from the previous generations I would highly recommend.

Good enough for me! Ordered up. Guess I needed some retail therapy this morning.

LOL... when I first read the label on the spool I thought the name of line was "SUPERIOR BASS", with a slight mis-print, and maybe that's why the lines were being cleared out at STP. Then I zoomed in and see that it's actually SUPER DRI.

I had the exact same experience.

I've only fished it one day, but so far no complaints.

Wait, you mean it didn't completely change your life and your bass fishing forevermore?

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yup it’s a good line.

I like the SA bass bug and SA titan long better but buddies swear by the Airflo and it’s damn close. So I’d think the slight difference/preference is just personal and would recommend that line

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For those that are using it, would you match the rod weight or go one size over?

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Likely go with the rod weight.

What rod? I have some soft rods that I underline with modern lines.
I might pull my 896 RPL out of retirement or use a 796 Zenith.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I used my 8 wt line for the first time yesterday, on my newly built 8wt Northfork Composites Iconoglass rod. It was windy out and I fished with a foam popper and a non-weighted trailing fly. I found the line to be somewhat stiff, reminded my a lot of my Wulff Ambush line. I had to get some line out to really shoot it, it was hard to start the cast with little line out, seemed harder than a regular wt forward line. I like the color changes in the line. I was fishing out of my boat in the wind and so the line was wrapping around about everything that sticks out on my boat. I stepped on it multiple times as well. I'm still getting used to my new rod, I was casting a Rio Bass taper 7 wt on it before, this seems maybe a little bit better. At least I caught a bunch of fish. I'll give the line a big "meh" but for the price it works well.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Went out bassin' again yesterday evening. The line worked well, I like it, but you can't be lazy with it. It's kinda like using a heavy spey head with a mono running line, the head will fly out and dump in a pile and not lay out if you don't keep control of the running line. But I could throw it a mile, maybe a mile and a half....

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
So I tried a different line on my 8wt Iconoglass. I found a 7wt Royal Wulff Ambush fly line laying around and I used that last night. It made the rod much more enjoyable to cast. Anyone want an 8wt Superdri Bass line?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So I tried a different line on my 8wt Iconoglass. I found a 7wt Royal Wulff Ambush fly line laying around
Do you feel like going one wt down for a glass rod works out for Ambush lines?

I realize that every glass rod is different. But I have a pile of Ambush lines around that could go on a few rods that I haven't taken bassin yet.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I happened to like my 8 wt. SuperDri bass line on my 8 wt. TFO Pro just fine for bass poppers. Maybe more than just fine. But I am really looking forward to trying it with either some Miyawaki poppers if I can find some coho near the surface, or with a long leader and a small weighted fly for estuary pinks, coming up soon.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Do you feel like going one wt down for a glass rod works out for Ambush lines?

I realize that every glass rod is different. But I have a pile of Ambush lines around that could go on a few rods that I haven't taken bassin yet.
I didn't try the 8 wt Ambush, I just happen to have a 7wt laying around spooled up on a Lamson Konic reel that I had put together for a 7wt switch rod I had built with the idea of nymphing for steel, which I really haven't done now for a few years. The Iconoglass felt lifeless and heavy in hand with the Airflo on it. I did an online search and found some people had tried the Ambush 8wt and liked it. I have the 4wt Ambush on a cheap trout spey that I built and that is what I have been using for bass. I'm not sure if the 8 wt Ambush would work better than the 7 wt, but I liked the action of the rod well enough with the 7 wt. I did not try throwing any deer hair poppers, I was using a foam popper last night and was throwing it far and easy. I will say that I have tried to use the trout spey to throw indicator rigs, and the Ambush line does not lay out well in cold water, it is a much better warm water line.

I read on one forum where a guy says he buys the 8'6" Iconoglass 8wt and removes 6 inches from the butt to make it an 8 ft rod. I find that thought intriguing.