29.99 MOW Tips?!

Landlocked

Steelhead
It’s been a long time since I’ve purchased tips as I only steelhead a week a year anymore. Somewhere I lost my T8 and T-10 tips. Looked online, and the damn things are 30-bucks. Is that right?

Anyone have a better purchase outlet for tips than what I’m seeing?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I don't remember if they have always been $30. But I do remember feeling like they have always been a little pricey for what they are.

But if you just divide it to cost per cast, it's not so bad.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't remember if they have always been $30. But I do remember feeling like they have always been a little pricey for what they are.

But if you just divide it to cost per cast, it's not so bad.
I like to have the first fish be really, really expensive on a setup. For example, I figure my first Puget Sound salmon from my own boat cost about $20,000.

Horribly expensive, and I vowed to never catch that fish again—I couldn’t afford it. All the rest of the fish have been free.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Shops used to have big spools of it and you could just buy it by the foot. I wonder if any shops still do that?

Baring that I think Airflo sells 20' chunks that are a bit cheaper. At least you can get an 8' and a 12' from one...

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes mow tips have increase in price recently due to the demand to facilitate or accessorize all these spey line shooting heads.

Landlocked

Steelhead
@Landlocked I can give you some bulk T-14. It is old Rio with a mono core, doesn’t weld, but it would be free.
@SculpinSwinger-this is one reason I love this community. The willingness to help others, so a huge thank you! The one place in the top wallet I’m pretty well covered is T-14. I have a MOW and another length of it that I must have ordered from Poppy a dozen years or so ago. But thank you for the offer!

I can still tie a nail knot with 25lb Chameleon for loops, and I think I’ve got a few spools of that which are from the Slick Watts/Sonics era. But since I don’t worry about getting grabs much anymore…

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I like to have the first fish be really, really expensive on a setup. For example, I figure my first Puget Sound salmon from my own boat cost about $20,000.

Horribly expensive, and I vowed to never catch that fish again—I couldn’t afford it. All the rest of the fish have been free.
This is now my new adopted logic. Thank you.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Shops used to have big spools of it and you could just buy it by the foot. I wonder if any shops still do that?

Baring that I think Airflo sells 20' chunks that are a bit cheaper. At least you can get an 8' and a 12' from one...
Airflo stuff is great, a 30' section will yield a bunch of tips. I also prefer it because it's super easy to weld.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter

You got off cheaply. I don't even want to guess what the first tarpon I caught by myself cost me but it was worth every cent.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Speaking to replacement tips, Mike Sturza at Lost Creek Fly Shop has a clearance sale going on Scientific Anglers 15' replacement tips for $12.99. 120 grain, 160 grain, 200 grain in Type I, Type III and Type VI. I bought a couple and they look great. Only bad thing I can say about them is that they aren't color coded like the rio tips so I need to keep them well labeled in my tip wallet.