Search results

1. ARecher

What's a budget gear rod for salmon?

Kinda late to the party here. But my favorite rod for the beach is a 10'6" Okuma GSP spinning in Med. (the heavier 10'6"). I mostly fish herring with that rod and I can feel everything with it (very sensitive). I broke the top earlier this season (I think I hit it with a weight and made a weak...
  2. 313976913_10226538480075725_6950701301632328510_n.jpg

313976913_10226538480075725_6950701301632328510_n.jpg

3. ARecher

NFR How's the housing market where you live?

I don't know what the answer is. I can see some truth in EVERYTHING I've read in this thread. Certainly things have changed over the years and solutions that might have worked in the past may not be feasible anymore. This is a problem with a lot of moving parts and my opinion is that it will...
  4. ARecher

Just a heads up for for any who may not know about them but several lenders now have programs that allow regular Joes to kinda compete with cash offers. We applied for, but ended up not using, the "buyer accepted" program through New American Funding. Yeah, they charge you a percentage (2-3%)...
  5. ARecher

Was able to get a place in Sequim. Closes in a few weeks. Needs a lot of work/updating but, with the rent increase we were facing, the mortgage payment will be about the same. Hopefully it'll be a good location for fishing adventures to the East and West.
  6. ARecher

I am also a dirt bag. I made my own lures

Hey cool, someone else is doing this. I made a bunch a couple of years ago based on the "rotator" lure. I did rattle can paint and epoxy too (I think I used a lacquer primer). I found that the rattle can/epoxy wasn't durable at all, one little rock ding and the paint just pops right off, but...
  7. ARecher

Welp. Got notice today that our rent is going up (by $600 a month). Not really much of a message here, just bitching.
  8. ARecher

NOF 2022

Time for me to start scouting East area 6 for beach access. Hmm... Edit: Who wants to spill the beans?
  9. ARecher

DIY Flybox?

Do any of you guys use the "Pip's Box" for leaders? I was thinking about trying it out for fly fishing leaders. I use the pool noodle for mooching/herring spinning gear rigs because they take a while to tie up. I guess pre-tied beach leaders are pretty much just mono with a loop on one end...
  10. ARecher

Strange, weird or odd or whatever beach finds thread….

Here's a couple. Weirdest thing though was when I was kayak fishing off point Wilson a few years ago and from about 20-30 feet away saw a hand and the top of a head just under the surface. I pedaled over full of dread and discovered it was some kind of mannequin or training dummy. It was wearing...
  11. ARecher

Other Hobbies?

Thanks. I made that out of one of the tines on an old rotary hoe that I got at a scrap yard. It was along time ago and it was actually pretty clunky and thick but it was fun to put together.
  12. ARecher

Other Hobbies?

I'm really enjoying this thread. In addition to fishing, I enjoy doing so many things! Mostly painting/drawing (I'm an illustrator), wood/metalworking, gardening. I especially like when hobbies crossover (I guess it's like a two-for-one) making fishing tackle, woodworking handtools. Much of that...
  13. ARecher

About those salmon..

Chum are called "Keta" right? I think I've seen that canned and maybe smoked. Why and how this is happening is above my pay grade but I'd imagine that it's a multi-faceted issue.
  14. ARecher

The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

Here's mine. An older Revo 13. I love the speed and it's fairly stable if you're a little cautious. I upgraded/fixed the mirage drive a couple of years ago and now I'm considering an upgrade kit for 180˚. That'd be almost $600 though. For salmon fishing (where I fish) I think I would really...
  15. ARecher

Awesome Dogs of PNW

Jackson is 8 now. The first pic is him at 10 weeks. He's never been the kind of dog you want to take fishing, though I've tried a couple of times. He gets into everything and keeps you from actually fishing. He's a much better tennis player. Part boxer we think. He recently got some new kitty...
  16. ARecher

Favorite Gear Rods

Haven't bought or fished any of the higher end rods (Loomis, Lamiglass, etc.) though I'm sure I would like them. The Shimano Clarus 9'6" MH spinner was a good purchase (love the reel seat/handle on that one and the newer ones aren't made the same). Need to put a new tip on that one. I've also...
  17. ARecher

Wading Boot Insoles?

I have no loyalty to this company but they seem to have a number of configurations. Might be worth checking out. I went with the neutral arch "pinnacle" series as a place to start for my problems. I saw this brand recommended in a really old thread on a fishing forum. I think the person...
  18. ARecher

Wading Boot Insoles?

Not exactly the same situation but maybe it'll help someone else...Year before last, i was using bootfoot neoprene waders. After fishing the beaches all summer/fall and a few trips to rocky river environs, I developed some pretty bad tendonitis in my ankles. It went away with some rest (off...
  19. ARecher

Yeah, perspective is a funny thing. We've been able to save a significant amount of money over the past few years and have paid off my girlfriend's student loan and have been hammering mine. I could pay it off but feel like having a big down payment chunk is more important. We carry no other...
  20. ARecher

I've never been there (Aberdeen) but I'm thinking of making an exploratory trip. I've been looking at listings there lately. You can get so much more for your money. Partner and I both work remotely. I guess it's also a floodplain if you don't buy the right property. Crime is supposed to be high...