Search results

1. M

Blackmouth

The PCBs would seem likely to be an issue but the data suggests otherwise. The NRKW males have significantly higher PCB levels than the SRKW males due to diet. The young NRKW females also have higher PCB levels than SRKW females due to diet but successfully wean calves so older NRKW females...
  2. Screenshot_20230330-214518~2.png

Screenshot_20230330-214518~2.png

3. Screenshot_20230329-201759.png

Screenshot_20230329-201759.png

4. M

Blackmouth

Agreed on demographic issues. Science is already changing on lazy male SRKW. It seems the other RKW have lazy males but SRKW males are working hard. Killer whale foraging behavior “This potential prey-sharing role of SRKW adult males challenges the existing paradigm that adult females are...
  5. M

Blackmouth

Did you read the paper? "It appears that both the ancestral populations of Alaska Resident and Southern Resident orcas were much larger in the distant past before declining about 700 years ago, according to the study. Since then, the effective population of the Southern Residents ranged from...
  6. M

Blackmouth

Good luck. Canada is actively blocking all attempts by even Canadians to get that kind of data. Government has an agenda for the fish and doesn't want science getting in the way. https://bcwf.bc.ca/bcwf-urges-standing-committee-impose-transparency-at-dfo/ Fraser fish are allegedly not doing...
  7. Screenshot_20230325-120531~2.png

Screenshot_20230325-120531~2.png

8. M

Pink Year

I suggest selling various sand panko mixes to be used in recipes like Alder smoked mica Kombucha granite Baby beach glass etc..
  9. M

South Sound with Nick C.

After driving through way too much snow in Oregon for 2 days of steelheading, two of us meet Nick at 7am on Sat in freezing temps. The boat was already launched, so off for a bone chilling ride. At least it was calm and sunny so casting was easy. Found the first fish within an hour and then...
  10. PXL_20230225_192229788.jpg

PXL_20230225_192229788.jpg

11. M

Buying a Bluewater Boat

I jumped from a 19ft boat to a 2018 Weldcraft 240 Cuddy King this year (I think 260 is smallest available now) . I thought I wanted twins but used boats were hard to find earlier this year and couldn't even get a call back from multiple dealers so I talked myself into a single 300hp main and a...
  12. M

Good news for fish. Puget sound net pen permits not renewed.

Interesting indeed. Chile has 17 times higher density of fish farms that are probably worse run than the ones in BC and yet Chile's wild chinook are invasive and expanding their range while growing to 70lbs. I don't expect any measurable benefit to wild fish. If there's some real, unbiased...
  13. M

Bulk Tungsten Line for Stupid Deep Rigs

For me stupid deep is more like 50 to 90ft and the intermediate line just won't stay down there. Too much drag and not enough weight. The Depthfinder is great up to 30ft but that's not always deep enough. Wind is a big factor too in picking the right line. I have had to switch from a stupid...
  14. M

Better know your daphnia

Interesting video focussed on water fleas. They respond to the presence of fish in general behaviour and reproduction. Also respond to the presence of phantom midges. Can even grow neck teeth! Water fleas
  15. M

Hook Model and Size for Salty Salmon

Smaller hooks rip out of kelp more easily than bigger hooks if you are fishing around that stuff. I like #4 to #1 range.
  16. M

SFR: "Shark or Orca: Which Should You Fear More?"

The residents will kill other marine mammals for fun at times. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with a human Residents attack porpoises
  17. M

Zipper fix tips?

Can't fix that zipper but in the future I found a good soaking of CLR helps to free up the corrosion clogging the zipper so you can salvage the zipper before it breaks. Doesn't quite work miracles on severe corrosion but it seems to help a lot for me.
  18. M

Teasers for bucktailing

Fishing 100ft of water or more. There's lots of fish in 200 - 300ft so haven't had to dodge freighters. I'm hoping the setup works later in the season too when the big ones are swimming by. Thanks to some unscientific orcaphiles deeper water more than 0.5 mile from shore is closed to salmon...
  19. M

Teasers for bucktailing

Coho have been large for the season and prolific on the Canadian side of Juan de Fuca in Sooke. A flyrod bucktail was getting a few hits while fishing spoons on downriggers so decided to go all in on bucktails and surface fishing. Inspired by trolling in FL, I put dummy flashers on the...
  20. PXL_20220727_171106426.jpg

PXL_20220727_171106426.jpg