Search results

1. ifsteve

Epropulsion outboard

Just do your due diligence. Know all the factors behind your decision, especially look into the process to obtain the materials to make the batteries in the first place. Cradle to grave.
  2. ifsteve

A wet, windy week at Patagonian BaseCamp, Chile in mid-March

Terrific report. Thanks for sharing.
  3. ifsteve

Go to lake fly?

If I was limited to one and only one fly and not allowed to change the fly depending on the lake I was going to fish it would be a chironomid. Probably a #16 black and red with a white bead.
  4. ifsteve

Baseball 2024

Fishing is for daytime. Baseball at night. Ribs and whiskey for watching. Perfect.:)
  5. ifsteve

Panama

Could have sworn this was a fishing forum?? No problem with posting a "travel" trip but you could have said in the title not fishing related.
  6. ifsteve

LOUD OUTDOOR AUDIO

I met a new fishing buddy last fall. First time we went fishing together he shows up with one of those Turtle Box speakers. I thought yuk not a fan and thought it might be a short lived fishing partnership. As soon as we left the marina he turns it on. Not super loud but loud enough to hear it...
  7. ifsteve

Baseball 2024

Sure its only the Angels but my O's are 2-0 and won with a combined score of 24-7 and our two starters only gave up a solo HR each and had 11 and 9 Ks. If we get anything from Means and/or Bradish this year we are going to be around come October. Gunnar for MVP!
  8. ifsteve

Truthful Pyramid Lake Report

Not sure where in the heck that you heard this but its not even remotely accurate. I have personally fished lots of different beaches there from a ladder. And for those interested in going there you really need to read Rob Anderson's blog on what is happening at that Lake. The fishery is vastly...
  9. ifsteve

Minn Kota vs Garmin electric motors

It all depends on current and wind but spot lock uses a lot of battery power. IMO 12v trollers are for minimal use and stuff like a pontoon. A boat of any size (say 16ft) needs 24v.
  10. ifsteve

Minn Kota vs Garmin electric motors

Been running Minn Kotas on all my boats for 30 years now. All been great with the notable exception that sooner or later the Ulterra is going to need repair. But I like the ease of them so much that I put one on my new Lund last year and glad I did. So nice to be sitting at the console putting...
  11. ifsteve

lithium battery questions

Exactly. What I always respond to threads about "do you practice your fly casting." Sure lawn casting is fine. Fishing is better.....lol
  12. ifsteve

I am not overthinking this in the least. I merely responded to the quote from the Dakota brochure that was posted. They said "so don't forget to fully charge your batteries every two months during the offseason." I don't think its an issue either. But apparently Dakota does??
  13. ifsteve

The only issue with this fully charging every two months is that some of us may be away from a set of batteries for several months at a time.
  14. ifsteve

Anyone using a shallow water pole anchor?

Now if your sound water is more acidic that would certainly make an impact.
  15. ifsteve

This makes no sense. As a chemical engineer, corrosion is accelerated by temperature. Colder water and salt should have less affect than warm saltwater. Not saying that this hasn't happened. But that there is something else going on. Perhaps its just the temperature and nothing to do with salinity?
  16. ifsteve

Guys you do realize that Power Poles were made for the salt in the first place. The bass guys picked up on them after they had been out a long time. My PP is in saltwater several times a week over 4 years now. The one on my original skiff is now 13 years old and still going strong.
  17. ifsteve

New Motor: Which Color?

I really like my white Zuke. Buddy has black on his skiff. But you did get the right motor. Almost as much power as a Yamaha F70. $2K less money and twice the warranty.
  18. ifsteve

I have a power pole on my skiff. Had one on my last skiff and two on my bay boat. Terrific piece of fishing equipment. A buddy has the manual pole. I find it useless. Its in the way if you leave it in the holder (sticks up too far) and if its not already in the holder getting it out and using...
  19. ifsteve

Just don't turn your trolling motor to full power. They all have increments or notches for some indication of power level. Not like you need to keep checking it. Go Li and you'll never look back. Check out Li Time!
  20. ifsteve

RIP Cathy Beck

Two of the most well known flyfisher/photographers/travel hosts (for Frontiers) in the fishing world. Hard to imagine not having heard of them .....unless you just are fortunate enough to spend all your time on the water instead of reading about it in the office.....lol So sad but she died...