Search results

1. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Marine Area 11

So why is marine area 11 closed?
  2. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Ice Dub

Anyone have any effective materials using this material? Any tips for dubbing with it? Most success I’ve had has been with dubbing loops.
  3. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Seals at the Barrier Dam

This fellow was observed a few days ago at the Barrier Dam in the Cowlitz. Feeding on smolts?
  4. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

An interesting chenille

I made this chenille body for a leech with 4 strands of peacock twisted with 2 strands of red crystal flash and 2 strands of root beer crystal flash. Wishing I had blue instead of the root beer. Flashabou won’t work.
  5. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

The Ghost of Steelhead Bob

A few years back before WDFW wrecked the Cutthroat run, I used to see an old feller that we called Steelhead Bob in the upper run. Bob fished there until he was 80 and then finally gave it up because he figured he was too old to wade. He didn’t really fish for the Steelhead, he was mostly...
  6. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Adult Damsels

Occasionally and rarely, I have had good fishing for Rainbows with adult damsel patterns. A few years back, it was consistently in a patch of heavy vegetation. There weren’t many takes, but I attributed that to poor visibility as the fish were swimming below the weeds. A few times, the fish...
  7. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Refusals

There were four of us fishing a sparse Callabaetis hatch. Some of the fish would rise confidently and eat the fly. But for every hookup there were 3-4 refusals. Sometimes the fish would come up slowly and inspect the fly before moving on. Other times there would be a splashy rise but no...
  8. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Indicator Flies

Using a large dry fly as an indicator is often an effective way to fish the upper and lower parts of the water column. The hopper/dropper tactic is well known. On a popular lake, I noticed that Rainbows would occasionally come up and check out the indicator. I often considered using a foam...
  9. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Who can tie an ant that floats on it’s side?

Can Norm do it? Here’s a picture of a real one. Photo credit: Steve Norton
  10. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Is there a good way to mount a Fishing Buddy on a pontoon?

The current aftermarket strap/tube arrangement has entirely too much flex to be useful.
  11. Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

ancient aliens

A friend who doesn’t tie gifted me an old vise that belonged to his father. It’s about 8” tall, cast, and has “Thompson F” markings. Does anyone know anything interesting about this?