Search results

1. SteelHeadDave

U.S. drafts plan to bring grizzly bears back to Washington’s North Cascades (WAPO)

One of the best movies ever made. If you haven’t seen it do yourself a favor and give it a go.
  2. SteelHeadDave

WA Coast question

I just saw @Salmo_g comment about guns (tubes). I’m talking about tubes in my post above FYI 😁
  3. SteelHeadDave

WA Coast question

Clam guns are certainly easier for a beginner IMO. Make sure to get to the beach of choice at least 1.5 hours before the low tide. Often times newbies will concentrate on the sand shrimp areas further up the beach. Generally speaking you want to spend your time bellow the shrimp beds. If you...
  4. SteelHeadDave

NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

I have buried salmon carcasses in my beds in the past, specifically my tomato beds. It yields great results. I would not do it until after this growing season however. IMO you want it to have enough time to decompose before planting out your bed. Also be aware that raccoons will try to dig them...
  5. SteelHeadDave

Pickled Eggs, Sausage or Bologna

I make pickled coho every year. Super easy and a great way to preserve the harvest. Tastes great too! Filet, pin bone out and portion into pieces that will comfortably fit into glass or plastic container. Coat generously with non-iodized salt. Don’t skimp on the salt! You can keep fish packed...
  6. IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg

7. IMG_2963.jpeg

IMG_2963.jpeg

8. SteelHeadDave

Go to lake fly?

These work well for me.
  9. SteelHeadDave

What's in your vise?

@Stonedfish is an inspiration to all salty fisher folk on this forum and beyond. I know I’ve learned a lot from him and he has taught me a bunch and has inspired me a ton over the years.
  10. SteelHeadDave

What's in your vise?

Kelp greenling that probably needs more weight.
  11. IMG_2958.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg

12. SteelHeadDave

Got any bird pics?

For the last several years there has been a nesting pair of Cooper’s Hawks across the street from my girlfriend’s house in West Seattle. Last year we noticed that there were also hummingbirds that would fly in close proximity to the hawks when coming/going from the nesting tree. Turns out there...
  13. SteelHeadDave

Got any bird pics?

Makes sense. The local Stellar’s Jays certainly like it when I mow my lawn 😁
  14. SteelHeadDave

Rocks

Petrified log buried in the tidal zone.
  15. 1712387222928.jpeg

1712387222928.jpeg

16. SteelHeadDave

Rocks

I’ve been curious about this little one for years. Any guesses? Found while taking a break from fishing on a Whidbey island beach. Semi translucent and definitely more turquoise colored than other rocks I’ve found.
  17. IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

18. IMG_2932.jpeg

IMG_2932.jpeg

19. IMG_2934.jpeg

IMG_2934.jpeg