Search results

1. MarshRat

Recommend a mid-price WF8F line for sight casting

Not casting all day, and most shots are 30-50ft. I'm just looking for a line that cast's nicely. I've gone through ~5 budget lines (Rio mainstream, SA frequency, Maxcatch, etc.) and I just want to get something a bit smoother. Not opposed to textured lines. Throwing seaducers, clousers, crab...
  2. MarshRat

2024 Fishing Aspirations

Any fishing-related goals or plans for 2024? New species, new personal best, new destination, new technique? Maybe you already have something scheduled that you're looking forward to? My goal is a flood tide redfish out of my own boat. Bought the boat mid-summer, wrenched on it for a few...
  3. MarshRat

Wintertime Boat Attire

Air temps are cooling here in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. I expect most fishing days will be spent in the 50-60's from now until March. I spent last winter fishing the saltwater marsh on a paddleboard, and I eventually found that quick-dry nylon pants and neoprene "paddling" wetshoes were...
  4. MarshRat

Sun-up Shakedown

With water temps slowly rising in the Charleston marshes, I've been anxious to return to the grass flats and sightfish cruising reds. March is a little early for this style of fishing, as the prey that inhabit the grass flats can be slow to return from winter hideouts. However, a recent...
  5. MarshRat

Favorite Month for PNW Fly Fishing (Multi-species)

What I miss most about the PNW is the variety of fisheries. Stillwater, warmwater, saltwater and moving water all provide unique fishing experiences for a wide array of species. We would like to plan an annual extended trip home to the PNW, and I would l like to dabble in as much different...
  6. MarshRat

South Africa Fly Fishing/Fly Tying Philosophy Video

Beautiful video that I think this forum will especially appreciate. I waste a lot of time on Youtube, but this one is a gem.
  7. MarshRat

Favorite Reel Grease?

Favorite grease for springs/pawls/dogs? Looking to prevent saltwater corrosion.
  8. MarshRat

Freshwater Coho Pics

Anybody finding any this fall? Would love to see some photos. I'm out here in the southeast watching tropical storms and missing silvers.
  9. MarshRat

Puget Sound, SRC, Spawn Fly Fish, Josh Phillips, Todd Moen Video

"We spent a few days in his backyard on the Puget Sound were I actually grew up not too far away. It really is a magical place, but when you get to spend it with a guy like Josh, who grew up and there and knows every inch of the zones, that’s really special. I’m looking forward to taking my kids...
  10. MarshRat

For the Tuna Boys

"We always reckoned that we could get the elusive bluefin tuna of Fiordland to take a fly but we just needed all of the elements to line up. Nick Reygaert, Jeff Forsee and Craig Hind head into deepest and darkest Fiordland for the adventure of a lifetime."
  11. MarshRat

Affordable Cork Drag/ Draw Bar Reel

Any budget options out there? Love these reels for weekly saltwater use, but my buddy can't afford any of the big names (Abel, Tibor, Bauer, Islander). Looking specifically for the cork drag/draw bar design. Thanks!
  12. MarshRat

Why no Polyethylene/Plastic watercraft?

I was scrolling through the flotilla thread, and noticed an absence of polyethylene vessels. Plenty of inflatables (float tubes/pontoons), wooden prams and aluminum row boats, but other than a few kayaks, I noticed very few plastic boats. Locally, I hear Dogfish (Bellingham) makes a good...
  13. MarshRat

Reel Soak Solution

Due to my current living situation and available resources, it is much more convenient for me to soak my reel than it is to spray it off with a hose after saltwater use. I currently loosen my disc drag completely then submerge the reel in a bucket of warm tapwater. I leave the reel soaking until...
  14. MarshRat

Member Appreciation Story (UPDATE)

In December 2021, I made a plea on the site that shall not be named, asking members for a beater 8 wt rod. Background of the story- my wife and I moved from the wet side of WA to the Lowcountry of SC in July, and I sold off all trout gear keeping only my travel 8 wt. After 5 months of crashing...
  15. MarshRat

Anti Reverse Fly Reels

Opinions? Are these a gimmick? I fish for redfish, and have busted a couple knuckles when fighting in skinny water. I like the idea in theory, but am concerned with the extra moving parts involved compared to a standard direct drive reel. The reel will only see saltwater, and I ain't that...
  16. MarshRat

Fly Rod Holder Solution?

I would like to epoxy a plastic rod holder flush to a rotomolded cooler (vertically). I like these simple rod holders that don't have articulating arms/weird attachments, but I know they don't hold fly rods well if at all. Anyone know of a similar product that will hold a fly rod well? I...