Search results

1. S

Wok thread

You can use a cook top. It's hard to keep it hot enough, but realistically, any conventional stove falls short of complete adequacy for wok cooking. Doesn't mean we can't still come pretty close with some learning.
  2. S

Wok thread

By comparison, the burners we used were 80K BTU. Light it up, and the wok would be smoking hot after a count to 3. Most dishes took about a minute to cook, start to finish. HOT!!!
  3. S

River Snorkeling with Cutthroat

I should start doing this in the summer, when it's too hot to sit around the house. Can you theoretically "swim" entire floats in a day?
  4. S

Handgun Snake Shot

I think having dogs along is the only reason you might want to carry for snakes. Dogs aren't always very "discerning" in how they treat things, and they tend to get snakebit, porcupine quilled, whatever more often than most things, so sometimes, maybe they need a little extra protection...
  5. S

Wok thread

No need to be sad, though... I have learned to put out some solid cuisine from my lousy excuse for a kitchen. Working with what you have is kind of the "essence de la cuisine," non?
  6. S

Wok thread

Trouble for me is I'm on the third floor and can't use any grills/smokers/burners/etc. on my balcony. It's cast iron or bust for me, and even that sets off the damned smoke alarms sometimes, because I don't have any actual ventilation to the outside. Some things about living in an apartment are...
  7. S

Wok thread

As for recipes... Most any typical Chinese-American dish (to include soups) is best prepared in a wok. As in most cooking, the basic elements break down to fats, aromatics, vegetables, a protein of some sort, and a sauce or spice blend. The fats, aromatics, vegetable blends, and proteins vary by...
  8. S

Wok thread

I did some wok cooking at a noodle house years back, and I can tell you three things: 1. It's a lot of fun. 2. You need a lot of heat (more than most conventional stoves can produce) to keep a wok hot enough to work its magic. 3. As @Brute said, prep is essential. Things go fast (like, really...
  9. S

April / May Tying Contest

For a nymph, it's got to be the good ol' Pat's Rubberlegs. Won't win you many fly tying awards, but it will catch plenty of fish during the Montana salmonfly season in this size/color combo. Size 6 Tiemco 200R, tan Life Flex barred with black sharpie for legs/etc., small coffee/black "Stonefly...
  10. 1000001198.jpg

1000001198.jpg

11. S

NFR They weren’t kidding auto insurance

They don't, which is precisely why those who ARE insured have to pay more to stay that way. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses. When they stop making more off premiums than they pay out in claims for more than a few months, they fail. My sister lives in Florida, where they don't...
  12. S

Guided trip question

Dress in layers, so you're covered for a cool morning and a hot afternoon. Pack light. Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, waders, and boots with felt (no studs in the boat, if you please). A water bottle and a snack should be all you need for sustenance. Bring a couple of your own flies if you really...
  13. S

Favorite bass rod weight, what you got?

A fast 6-weight is good for delivering the smaller Clousers, buggers, and gurglers I use for most of my bass fishing. Same rod I use for fishing trout streamers, just with a shorter, stout leader. On the rare occasion I use bigger or more bulky flies, I use an 8-wt.
  14. S

Non-Fly Bassin

Not an expert, but I use gear on them sometimes. Swim baits and Senkos are all I've messed with much, and they work quite well. I have found flies (particularly Clousers) to be as or even more effective on the mostly smaller fish we have locally, but when you're fishing heavy cover for big fish...
  15. S

LOUD OUTDOOR AUDIO

Don't tell my brother-in-law about this. He's one of those guys who loves to blast the music on the water; not so loud that it hurts, but pretty close. I sort of enjoy it... for about an hour. After that, I want to bask in silence, occasionally interrupted by the sounds of singing birds, or...
  16. S

2024 Skagit Steelhead

Good work on finding those spots! AS LONG AS YOU CAN FISH THEM EFFECTIVELY, pound those spots. Regardless of where they're ultimately headed, all fish will concentrate in the same lies at rest. Those lies aren't always the same year to year, and finding them is key to catching whatever you're...
  17. S

2024 NOF

I'm no pro, but I've fished for coho in just about every way, salt and fresh, and my anecdote on the matter will read that open ocean coho are absolute wimps (but do seem to do much better if you use single, barbless hooks and don't net or remove them from the water), estuary fish are a little...
  18. S

Salmon And Steelhead Conservation

Done. It was harder than I would have thought to prioritize the 7 consumptive uses of salmon. The only one I was sure of was that commercial harvest should be dead last. Being honest about it, I think I also ranked recreation pretty low. Ecology was my highest priority. Salmon are perhaps THE...
  19. S

Bass Leaders

I think anything posted in this thread would work just fine; bass usually aren't nearly as persnickety as trout. A short, sinking polyleader with 2-3 feet of 10 or 15# Maxima served me well in Florida last spring. Keeping your leaders short and heavy let's you use a lighter rod (like a 6-wt.) to...
  20. S

FNF Creeper

Following up... Another take on a "wormy" thing using the Creeper. Sure makes for fast, buggy bodies on flies we're going to throw into the weeds on purpose...