Search results

1. Tim Cottage

Black bamboo “ugly stick”

The beauty of it is not so much in it's appearance but in that as it dries it will change. If you only fish it once per month it will be like a different rod every time . Brilliant!
  2. Tim Cottage

Bamboo ?

Agreed ! 6'2" to 7'6" is an apples to oranges comparison no matter what they are made of.
  3. Tim Cottage

Bamboo Fling 2024

June 9 works for me
  4. Tim Cottage

Grey Ghosts

I've only tied a few of these years ago and I tinkered with using both red and orange GP crest. I thought the best result was blood red on the bottom and natural yellow on top.
  5. Tim Cottage

Rescue, maybe…

You have done a nice job on the rod. The part we can see looks great.
  6. Tim Cottage

Tom Fulk RIP

Very sorry to hear of Tom's passing. He was always very generous about sharing techniques, processes etc. about his rod making. I wiggled a few of his rods at a few different Corbet gatherings. His rods always struck me as well made and thoroughly practical. He did not give a second thought to...
  7. Tim Cottage

What are you listening to?

Best intro ever.
  8. Tim Cottage

Past Bamboo Gatherings

That was a fun time with the usual suspects but I have no idea who Pillar Rock Rods is.
  9. Tim Cottage

Youngs Pattern 1?

We each bought a couple of raw Zhu lines. I never did put a finish on mine. I still have them. I know Mike stuggled with his. Don't know if he ever finished them. Are you guys aware that Reed past away a few weeks ago? I hope his website remains functional. You might want to print a few...
  10. Tim Cottage

Youngs Pattern 1?

I don't think putting good on top of bad is the best choice for your line. It needs some serious help. Striping the old finish and replacing it with a new finish is not difficult. Pretty much everything you need to know is in the link below. https://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?cleaningsilk
  11. Tim Cottage

More Acquisitions: Two Phillipson Rods and a Silk Line

Investing in a bank of your favorite rods is one of the safest pre retirement investments you can make with an especially high ROI because who doesn't like Grangers and Phillipson's. Just introduce your wife to that old saying, Happy man Happy Life.
  12. Tim Cottage

UV fluorescent materials

An early researcher on this subject, Reed Curry passed away about two weeks ago. His book , The New Scientific Angling - Trout and Ultraviolet Vision Published in 2009 was a ground breaker. This idea spawned research into ultraviolet camouflage, in which he secured a patent, and advanced an...
  13. Tim Cottage

Tying Soft Hackle Flies

If you really want to get into the weeds with this subject get this book. https://www.anglebooks.com/the-north-country-fly--yorkshire's-soft-hackle-tradition-by-robert-l-smith.html
  14. Tim Cottage

Tying Soft Hackle Flies

For those new to this subject and are searching for Pearsall's silk you should know that Pearsall's was bought by Morus Silk about 5 to 10 years ago. They have done a good job replicating the thread and colors of the original Pearsall's. Look for their Superfine silk filament...
  15. Tim Cottage

Tying Soft Hackle Flies

It is not possible to have too many soft hackles. I tye a few standards but mostly make them up as I go along predominantly using pearsall's and game bird feathers from Golden Plover to Starling and every thing in between. One of my favorite feathers is the rusty brown from a Bob White Quail. I...
  16. IMG_20240310_095009630_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240310_095009630_HDR.jpg

17. IMG_20240310_095018019_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240310_095018019_HDR.jpg

18. Tim Cottage

New Frankenkara…..

Some sort of emblem or symbol. Maybe also hand carved maybe not.
  19. Tim Cottage

A maestro at work.

Yikes! that was a bad wrap but it sure looks good now. Way to go Mike. Was it rubbing alcohol or denatured?