Search results

1. jaredoconnor

Griddle Gang

I just got my first proper griddle. I no longer eat non-griddle foods. Who else has a griddle? Any interesting recipes or techniques to share? I am particularly interested in cleaning techniques. My approach has been to use half a tree, every time. Doesn’t seem like the most sustainable...
  2. jaredoconnor

Garmin Striker Cast

Does anyone have experience with these? They seem like a neat solution, for folks in float tubes. I think I researched these before, but I can’t remember what the outcome was. I have newborn induced sleep deprivation and memory loss. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/665274
  3. jaredoconnor

SOLD 6wt Airflo Streamer Max Long

$60 Used once Post at buyers expense or pick up in the Sammamish area PayPal or Venmo only
  4. jaredoconnor

Personal Protection

The cougar attack thread got me thinking about an important topic. My home is in bear and cougar country. I've never seen a cougar, but bears are found roaming the streets about a dozen times each year. More importantly, all the paved walking trails run along side a forest and I'm sure there's...
  5. jaredoconnor

Magnification

Does anyone use one of those gooseneck magnifying glasses? If so, how has your experience been and what diameter/magnification has worked well?
  6. jaredoconnor

Float Pumps

Oh hi. Me again. 🙋‍♂️ I forgot to order a pump, for my Fish Cat 4. I see some folks saying that it is good to keep a hand pump on board. Is that a thing? Does anyone have experience with the K4 pump? It seems to have enough capacity that I wouldn’t need a floor pump or electric pump, because...
  7. jaredoconnor

Float Tube Storage

My first float tube (Fish Cat 4 LCS) is on the way and I need some storage ideas. If I have to fully deflate it, dry it out, fold it up and put it in a bag, I probably won't use it very often. I would like to store it with as much air in it as possible, while still having it fit in the trunk of...
  8. jaredoconnor

Fish Cat 5

I’m back on the market for a float tube. I bought the Fish Cat 4 clone, from Sportman’s, but they sent me a used one and I sent it back. Does anyone have any experience with, or thoughts about, the Fish Cat 5? It’s just a larger version of the Fish Cat 4. It seems to be similar to the Super Fat...
  9. jaredoconnor

Indicator Leader Formulas

I’ve been googling, but can’t find a good reference for how to set up an indicator leader. Below is what I have come up with, based on all the random sources that I have found. 12in 20lb Chameleon 10in 15lb Chameleon 8in 12lb Chameleon 6in 10lb Ultragreen Bobber stop 10ft 0x Powerflex Swivel...
  10. jaredoconnor

What are you playing?

I remember there was a gaming thread, on the old site. I didn’t contribute, because I hadn’t played games in years. I bought a Steam Deck recently and have entered a gaming renaissance; it has enabled me to get in a few minutes here and there, between changing diapers and getting chewed out by...
  11. jaredoconnor

Republican Debate

Edited so as to not jump the gun, before mods chime in. Are we able to talk about this? I’m a progressive and I found it very interesting. Notably, that I was easily able to find significant common ground with half of the people on stage, which would seem unfathomable in our current climate. I...
  12. jaredoconnor

Non-Fly How to salmon?

My dad would like to catch and eat a salmon, next time he visits. I don’t know what time of year that will be, so I’m guessing resident coho would be the safest bet. What’s the easiest way to get one of those?
  13. jaredoconnor

Streamer Lines

I currently have an Airflo Streamer Max Long, but I don’t enjoy using it; I fish exclusively on foot and find the intermediate running line to be more hassle than it is worth. I’ll be mostly fishing cascades freestones. Streamer Max Short seems like the obvious choice, but I’m curious what else...
  14. jaredoconnor

Tri-tip Steaks

Costco had prime tri-tip “steaks”, for $9/lb. I figured that I can tolerate some experimentation, at that price. However, I have no idea what to do with them. Despite some impressive marbling, they are quite tough. Grilling has resulted in disappointing results. Any suggestions?
  15. jaredoconnor

Pat Weiss doing stuff

Another banger from Fulling Mill.
  16. jaredoconnor

New Greys Rod

Of all the extendable rods that have come out, this seems to be the most well designed. As much as I love the idea though, I don’t think it would do much for me. I’d rather see this on a rod with a bit more backbone. Anyway, I figured someone might be interested and it was worth sharing.
  17. jaredoconnor

Howard Croston doing stuff

Good video.
  18. jaredoconnor

FYI: Red Amnesia Is Back

https://tacticalflyfisher.com/products/amnesia-monofilament It actually does look brighter than before. It’s a little bit orange, whereas my old spools are more like a pink color. Be careful where you order it from, though; I’m sure a lot of stores are still selling the crap stuff.
  19. jaredoconnor

Knot Suggestion

Does anyone know of a good knot that pulls in slack, as it tightens? I often find myself needing to secure something under tension, but every knot that I know either loosens or doesn’t pull in slack. Imagine you were securing a sail to a D-ring and want the sail to pull tight, as the knot is...
  20. jaredoconnor

Running Lines

For folks that are using shooting heads, without an integrated running line, what is your favorite running line? I've only used OPST Lazar. It's decent, but it holds more memory than Chameleon or Amnesia. I find that 12lb (0.013in) or 15lb (0.016in) Amnesia holds almost no memory. Would it be a...